1930's Traveling 1 S with claw feet

Discussion in 'Optimus No:1(inc. S & J)' started by Staffan Rönn, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I find the claw feet to be one of the most exquisite design features of the classic camp stoves. This ornamental design is completely unnecessary from a functional perspective, yet designers, toolmakers etc went the extra mile to turn the stoves into pieces of art that elevate outdoor cooking. I have been on the look-out for one, got it today.

20200420_213430.jpg

This should be a 1930's unit. It's nickel plated and came with the tin box and a variety of accessories, actually a few of them from other brands. Spirit can no. 866 from Sievert, jet key from Primus with a spare jet, cleaning needles from Radius and 2 boxes of matches. A third box of matches was wrapped in what seems to be waxed cotton cloth. Probably to keep them dry.

20200420_210500.jpg

The stove was in quite good shape. Pump leather was dry but looked unused and was easy to lubricate and get going. Pump NRV was jammed and would not open, I replaced with a new one. Also lead and calmonite packings needed replacement. I did a pressure test in a sink, and only the packing of the reserve lid was bad, so I have to get a new one.

Dimpled spirit cup:
    20200420_201711.jpg

Roarer burner with Russian and Arabic marking. Flame spreader stamped Optimus and Sweden.

20200420_201617.jpg

Stamping on bottom of tank (Stockholm - not Upplands Väsby).

20200420_205203.jpg

Stamping on side of tank.

20200420_205443.jpg

Air screw marked Stockholm.

20200420_205452.jpg

I just love the claw feet.

20200420_205412.jpg

Matches that came with the stove, the Three Stars brand matches had instruction for use on the back. I guess these are pretty old match boxes. They suggest the stove has not been used for quite some years.

20200420_210109.jpg
    20200420_210123.jpg

Tin box with, if I understand things correctly, the older type of latch for this box design.

20200420_210532.jpg

Time for brew test. Preheating.

20200420_211420.jpg

Ignition.

20200420_211625.jpg

20200420_212917.jpg

20200420_212726.jpg

20200420_213217.jpg

Brew is ready!

20200420_213418.jpg

Thanks for checking out this claw-feeter!

20200420_205516.jpg

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Sternenlicht
    I totally agree with you on the qualities of that stove Bastian. Nickel plating’s the perfect finishing touch.

John

3. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Beautiful stove. I love the claw feet and you've got it running perfectly.

Ben

4. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

She's a stunner, she is. Been looking for one myself.

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    That’s a great find - Such a beautiful stove.

Cheers

Tony

6. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

A beautiful stove! Yes, the claw feet make it very classy.

7. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

That'll wake the neighbors. Very nice! Jerry

8. John Clifford United States

That IS a beautiful stove... a product of a time when ruthless efficiency and practicality wasn't all, when aesthetics were valued as much as functionality.

You wonder... at least I wonder... why some enterprising stove manufacturer doesn't launch a run of 1000 special-edition stoves... like Coleman did with their 502 (nominal) special edition a few years ago. Those all sold, and quickly, right? I'd think there'd be a market for special-edition Svea, Primus, or Coleman stove. It would have to be functional and beautiful, though.

9. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx SotM Winner Subscriber

Wow...that is a beautiful one. Very nice.

Alex

10. CW

CW United States Subscriber

You have been holding out on us she would of taken every sotm since they started the contests

11. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Staffan Rönn . Great post! A lovely stove outfit.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

12. Plantpot United Kingdom

Excellent photos

13. Staffan Rönn

Thanks all for really nice feedback, I'm glad you like the stove and photos!

It also strikes me that "lion feet" is maybe a more adequate description than "claw feet" in English, but it seems both terms are used here on CCS.

14. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Lovely,,, From a time when fit, finish, and dependability weren’t enough,,, there must be a dash of art for art’s sake as well.

15. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Spectacular photos.

16. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Staffan Rönn ,

HOLY MOLY, CHICKEN SOUP!! That is an exquisite old Optimus!! It's lovely, totally functional, and historically significant!! What more could you ask?!?! Your photos of this wonderful stove, are fantastic!! Very well done, my friend!! Somewhere, down in the Hobbit Hole, I have a brass version of your lovely "Lion's Feet" font. Might have to dig it out, and see what I can make of it. But, it will never compete with your stunner!!!! Thanks, again, for sharing, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

17. Staffan Rönn

Thanks @Doc Mark and everyone else, and yes I must say I am very pleased with my recent catch and how it performs!!! Beautiful flames!!

Today I was looking a bit closer on the tin box. The graphical design of this box was used for many years by Optimus (until late 50's early 60's?). It's nice, but not spectacular like some tins from other brands or the older Optimus tin with pyramids. My tin box is pretty beaten up too. But as I was looking close I found the manufacturers name which is "A-B Hugo Brusewitz Bleckvarufabrik" in Gothenburg (west coast of Sweden). Hugo Brusewitz is the name of the founder and Bleckvarufabrik means tinware factory.

20200421_191159.jpg

This company was founded in 1903. As it happens, they seem to have made tins also for Primus. The very beautiful type of tin @Spiritburner Ross has with his 96 seems to have been made in the same factory (discussed here: HUGO BRUSEWITZ TR & BLECKVARU FABRIK. GÖTEBORG )

The thing is that in 1919 Brusewitz merged with two other tin factories to form a group called "AB Plåtmanufaktur" or PLM in short. PLM continued to acquire competitors and with time became the dominating food and drinks (beer cans etc) packaging manufacturing group in Sweden. It seems however that in the first years, Brusewitz operated under the original name, hence the print on my tin. My stove is most likely from the early 1930's and the tin bears the Brusewitz name, not PLM.

Now comes the funny part. I have an identical tin box that I once got empty, so no info on what stove it once accommodated. This second tin also has the older style latch, but it is clearly marked as manufactured by "PLM GBG" where GBG is the abbreviation for Göteborg (Gothenburg).

20200421_211716.jpg

So with identical tin boxes but different names on the same factory, we may have one time marker here. (Usually of interest to us - right @OMC , @kerophile and others?)

The group PLM was launched on the Swedish stock market in 1936 (a timeline of PLM in Swedish can be found here: Visual Arkiv på nätet / Arkiv / PLM AB )

One hypothesis is that around the time when the group was launched on the stock market, they also consolidated brand names etc. Thus tin boxes of any style and brand marked Brusewitz could be from 1903 (earliest) until approx 1936 and those marked PLM could have been made after. I have no proof whatsoever of this, but it's clear the marking of the tin boxes was changed at some point in time.

So with help from others having thin boxes from Brusewitz and PLM, maybe this date can be narrowed down or confirmed. If the same factory continued making tin boxes also for Primus, the stove date codes will provide valuable information.

So maybe take a look in your dungeons and hobbit holes for tin boxes?!!! If they are nice, it's anyhow the right time to pull them out and nominate them for the April SOTM...

Best regards,
    Staffan

18. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Staffan Rönn . I have an interest in the distinctive stove boxes used by Swedish Manufacturers and who provided them.

Have a look at this thread:

Emperor #30 / Sweden

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

19. Staffan Rönn

Thanks @kerophile , very interesting.

Obviously Optimus and other manufacturers sourced tin boxes from different suppliers. I did some quick searching, and Väsby Bleckemballagefabrik was founded 1920, moved from Väsby probably to Norrköping mid 1960's. If I understand things correctly, they were acquired by PLM (the group with Brusewitz consolidating this industry in Sweden) in 1966, and was then more or less immediately closed down.

It seems then that No 1 size tin boxes came from Brusewitz/PLM in Gothenburg and the 00 size tin boxes from Väsby Bleck. There may of course also have been other setups of the source of tin boxes. In any case it is very interesting to map this where we can in order to help indicate the age of our stoves.

Best regards,
    Staffan

20. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Sweden Subscriber

It couldn't have gone to a more loving and caring home Staffan! She's lovely!
    Interesting observations pertaining to the tins and print. I shall have a gander at my tins when I'm at home and will let you know if I can assist in the ongoing discussion on this topic.