1932 Primus 702

Discussion in 'Primus No:702' started by joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co, Jun 19, 2009.

1. joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co

joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co Subscriber

Hello
    Thought of showing some pictures of my Primus 702, which my work colleague found in shed. So he asked me if I wanted some of the rubbish, which made me happy. Got a Svea stove and a Primus no 5 as well.

This 702 is marked with W and only thing done is replacing the jet with a new one and fabricate the "burner tube" from a 55mm steel tube.

Best Regards
    Joakim

1245416619-DSC_0713.jpg

1245416626-DSC_0714.jpg 1245416637-DSC_0719.jpg 1245416645-DSC_0722.jpg 1245416652-DSC_0727.jpg

2. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Ah! Very nice. That's a true rocket engine. :)

Your new tube looks like it's made of stainless steel.

The 'W' should make it a 1932, but I know that Conny at Fogas has found a little note that actually swap the positions of 'V' and 'W', so according to that one, it could also have been manufactured in 1931.
    But I don't know how much that piece of paper is to trust. It could be a misprint, but on the other hand, it can be correct. There could of course be a reason for the 'wrongly' placed letters.
    Do you know if Conny has found any more documentation, or if the paper note can be confirmed in any way?

3. joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co

Hello Christer
    You have sharp eyes, but it's not stainless steel, it's same as used doing manifolds for exhaust on cars.

That paper caused a lot of discussions, not sure if anyone got more sure in the end what the real truth was. I have not heard anything more about this paper then was in the dicussion.

http://swedlamp.forumportal.se/board/gatan-snart-lost-angaende-primus-nummer-t839.html#p3351

(hope it's not against rules to forward a link, if so , just remove it)

Best Regards
    Joakim

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

That is absolutely OK & the right thing to do. It was links to here from SFF that caused some trouble although I believe it's now cool to post them there. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

No, unfortunately that paper didn't clear much out.
    Actually it didn't clear anything at all out except from the swap between V and W, if that's not a misprint, which I personally don't thik it is.

The numbers apart from the manufacturing year is still not certain. They probably just mean what most people already has suggested them to mean. That is either the number of the worker in the final assembly line, or the specific station in the same line.

6. Lance

Now this has me wondering if the steel tube is suppose to be this long in length then mine are too short and i need to make new ones. Mine are average 40 mm in length. Is this correct or do they need to be longer.

lance

7. joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co

I made no science of it, just measured from sparepart cataloge page and found the the height should be approx 1,4 * width.
    Best Regards
    Joakim

8. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

Hello,
    I also have a 702 stove. I see you have used a 55mm exhaust pipe for the flame tube, but what is the length or height of the tube. Also I am in need of a heat resistant burner washer for my stove. The stove is not in mint condition but for it's age she looks pretty good.
    I contacted Spiritburner and he may have a burner washer, but I haven't heard back from him.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Norman

9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Techguy. I don't have any pre-made HR washers for this size of burner, as frankly there are too few around to justify a "run" with a minimum order size.

When I need one or two this is what I do:

1 Get a piece of heat-resistant gasket material (I use asbestos-based material as this is usually easy to obtain), approx 1 inch square. it should be around 1/16in. thick.

2. Punch a hole in the centre of the piece of gasket material, I think it will be around 18mm diameter, but you should check.

3. Temporarily assemble the burner onto the up-stand, omitting the spirit cup. Tighten the joint until the HR washer is firmly held in place, but not to final operation tightness. Cut off the excess washer material using a sharp blade, or scissors.

4. Release the joint, add the spirit-cup, and re-assemble the stove/furnace. If you need two HR washers, make them both at the same time.

If you have to use asbestos-based washer material, observe safety precautions. Keep the washers damp and dispose of cuttings carefully, in a sealed plastic bag.

Hope this helps.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

10. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  11. joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co

Hi, they are approx 75mm high, I just measured from a catalog the relationsship between height and width. So I have no original one to take measurements from.
    best regards
    Joakim