1934 Primus No.527 Roarer Burner Stove

Discussion in 'Primus No:527' started by plumberted, Oct 26, 2016.

1. plumberted

plumberted Subscriber

2. Funfundfunfzig

Magnificent! It looks like a very well executed restoration! Also burning great! These two burner stoves are very handsome! Well done!

3. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber SotM Winner

What a wonderful stove! The burners look identical to this 1932 Primus 12 from the Reference Library. This

Primus 12.jpg

This French Brochure shows the Primus 12 and lists the Primus 527 with the following footnote:

Les Nos 526 et 527 sont pourvus de bruleurs reglables. Translation: Nos 526 and 527 are provided with adjustable burners.

Ben

4. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout Subscriber

High drool factor on that one!
    Loud enough to wake the neighbors too I bet.
    Jerry

5. NW Lady

NW Lady Subscriber

Really beautiful ! ! thank you for posting this. a real inspiration to me as a newbie.

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

@plumberted
    A very nice stove, Ted. Obviously you will be selling it to me for a very cheap price at Newark. ;)

On CCS we have a large number of catalogues and other documentation. For the Primus brand we probably have more than for any other brand.
    However, even for Primus we have gaps in the years and this stove falls into one of the gaps.
    Like others, I also think that this is a magnificent beast and it is great to see it at full throttle.

However there is something about it that puzzles me. It is a roarer burner when I expected it to be a silent burner.
    In this marine version of the stove the roarer is the 526 and silent is the 527. But this observation is based solely on the catalogues we have at the moment.

In the 1927-29 catalogue the 526 and 527 are mentioned. The frame in the diagram is more ornate than the one in this thread.

Primus 527 c1928.jpg

By 1937 the Primus 527 had changed a lot and from that year onwards there is no mention of the roarer 526.

Primus 527 1937.jpg

It can be seen that the stove in this thread has the pan holder fins similar to the 1937 stove. The 1934 stove seems to be a simplification in manufacture of the 1927-29 stove before the big change in the 1937 stove.

Another difference on Ted's stove are the supports below the burners which allow the frame to be screwed or bolted to a surface.
    None of the catalogues showing the 526 and 527 stoves show this feature.

Support.jpg

A 1925 catalogue does show this type of support on the two-tank marine version of this stove, the 524 and 525.

Primus 524-5 1925.jpg

This stove poses a few questions to which I do not have definitive answers at the moment.
    It may be that in 1934 Primus offered both the silent and roarer versions of this marine stove and called them both 527, or maybe the retailer was willing to change the silent burners for roarer burners.
    It could be that one of the owners of this stove replaced the original burners.
    If the burners have parts numbers stamped onto them it might help in solving this mystery.

Of course I hope that another member can shed more light on this topic.

7. plumberted

plumberted Subscriber

Hi Trevor, Thanks for the comments on the Primus 527. If you would like it why wait till Newark? I am open to a reasonable offer or swap.!!!