1937? "FRENCH" RADIUS 42

Discussion in 'Radius No:42' started by kaw550red, Jan 8, 2010.

1. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

The 1937 refers to the date on the instructions. The stove could not have been made much before that date or it could not have had those instructions with it.

I bought it from France on eBay and have no idea whether this was a version made solely for France. I have not seen the loop arrangement on any other stove so this feature may have been used solely on French models. The loops are handy for keeping the prickers and instructions which may be the reason that the instructions have survived.

At that time they were brazing the burner into the top of the tank so you had to buy a new stove if your burner became faulty. The tank lid was also unusual and did not reappear after WW2 as far as I know.

1262967639-42_Ass_opt.jpg

1262967676-42_Stove_opt.jpg 1262967657-42_flame_opt.jpg 1262969245-37__Radius_42_insts_opt_opt.jpg 1262969352-42_Ins_Lid_opt.jpg 1262969371-42_Case_Back_opt.jpg 1262969385-42_Case_front_opt.jpg

Regards Bryan

2. ulysses

ulysses Subscriber

Bryan:

Very nice stove. In photo #4 of the instructions, it mentions the use of the stove as a mantle lantern with an additional attachment. Do you have photos or illustrations of a similar stove with the lantern attachment?

Thanks for posting the wonderful photos. It's an education.

Paul

3. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi Paul

Sorry I had not noticed that in the instructions. They do not seem to make sense. The spirit (burner?) cup is formed in the top of the tank and the burner that sits in it is brazed in position.

I suppose that it might mean the burner head which is cup shaped. However there was no additional burner with it and I have not heard of a Swedish stove with that feature although it was an obvious addition.

I tended to get the stoves, examine them and put them on the shelf for storage. I knew how to use them so seldom read instructions. I now wish that I had copied the other side which may have illustrated what the other burner looked like.

I have checked the instructions that I had previously copied and unfortunately there is not a copy of these instructions in with them

Regards Bryan

4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi Ross

That makes a lot more sense than the instructions. The burner cup must mean the burner plate.

Neither of my other Radius 42s had the loop arrangements on them. The brochure that you have shown seems to suggest that there were four versions at that time. A plain stove. A stove with the light attachment. A stove with the blowlamp attachment and a stove with both attachments.

I had a look at the other 42s on the site. This Radius 42 also shows the loops and the tin is the same as this one so it may be that this tin has the loops as standard irrespective of whether you got either of the other fittings

Regards Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. Riddarn

Hi guys..
    I have to say the same, I just checked mine..
    Mine is the same, with the green tin box, with loops for utensils.
    Mine has the filler cap in the bottom of the tank..
    Best regards

Uffe

7. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

I wish that someone could come up with detailed dimensional drawings for one of these lamp attachments.

AR

8. mbechtel

Beautiful stove. I hope to add one to my own collection someday.