1940 Perko Primus 3 Burner Marine Stove

Discussion in 'Valuations' started by xdl, May 23, 2021.

1. xdl United States

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

3. ulysses

ulysses Subscriber

Perko was / is? a US supplier of marine hardware and equipment. Your stove appears to be a galley stove, with the fiddle rail in front to keep the pots on the stove top. The holes in the end flange were probably for a gimble arrangement.

4. xdl United States

So it sounds like this is a very purpose-specific item, which to me implies not a lot of people would want it or be able to use it. I'll probably end up dropping it off at the scrap yard in a day or two.

Thanks everyone for your help!

5. Kiwi NZ

Kiwi NZ Subscriber

NO... don't, someone here would really appreciate a stove like that and will give you money for it. I would except for the fact that I am in NZ.

6. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Reverse psychology, perhaps?

It's a 'purpose-specific' item, like all stoves: to cook with, a daily mundane task. In this case, on a boat.

What were you hoping for? Sudden wealth?

Why hold it for several years, if only to discard it after a couple of replies on a stove collectors' site?

From 'eternal gratitude' to the dustbin in a couple of days....

Eternity ain't what it used to be!

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  7. xdl United States

How would this be reverse psychology? I wanted a quick valuation on something, but it seems to be specific to some model of boat from around the 1940s that God knows how many people still own. It's not worth the time and effort to research and sell this obscure item, so to me it's essentially worthless. I waited a few days for additional responses (there weren't any), then made an executive decision as to this stove's future.

As for my eternal gratitude, it remains within -- in my original post, I said it went to whomever gave me "more info" (no comments thus far have provided any), or "insight into what this is worth" (also absent).

8. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I rest my case.

9. Kiwi NZ

Kiwi NZ Subscriber

Not a specific boat but any boat, that is why it has some extra featuires, it will cook just as well on dry land.
    $5 plus the cost of shipping to NZ is the value to me. I would give it a good home and good use.
    If I was in the USA I would start the bidding at $100. Does that help?

10. xdl United States

Thank you; you have my Eternal Gratitude :^)

11. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Welcome @xdl
    hello Geoff, all,

Geoff (you see we can agree : )) ,
    List on ebayUS... " ... start the bidding at $100." <-- that is one way, I will say +1 to that.
    If one prefers to avoid selling online / auctions, then there are other options.

xdl, Has a point re purpose specific BUT buyers are not at all limited by that criteria.
    "!940 PRIMUS 3 burner" should draw many stove-buyers to your item like moths to the flame.
    I hope you see this, good luck either way.

12. Randy Field

Randy Field Subscriber

@xdl
    Valuations are always tough and you can see, draw people from both sides of the aisle. Like reviews of an item purchased online, you have to sift through some irrelevant info to get the gems.
    My thoughts:
    1) You are in the US. Shipping abroad will be too costly for most overseas collectors.
    2) there are a limited number of collectors here who would have solid interest in a curio such as this. Those people are your target audience.
    3) I have the same stove, but in a two burner version. I paid $40. When I sell, I’ll likely see that money come back to me; maybe more, maybe less. A three burner usually garners more interest as they are typically produced in small numbers. In any event, this is a little known stove, but produced by an excellent manufacturer.
    Someone somewhere really wants this stove. Perhaps an lld boat restorer, but more likely a stove collector. there is also a stove group on facebook (Stovies Anonymous) where you may post/offer for sale.
    I trust this helps somewhat. Please dont toss it in the dump. PM me if you like. I do have some interest in it, but shipping will often hamper a deal. It really is a neat piece of history.

13. Randy Field

Randy Field Subscriber

Afterthought. You could help me with my stove by providing dimensions of the burner caps. Mine are both missing.

14. Randy Field

Randy Field Subscriber

@xdl

shoot me a PM if you would.