1941 Coleman 520, Nickel Plated

Discussion in 'Military' started by Giri, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Giri

Giri Subscriber

Bit of a splurge.

41a.jpg

41b.jpg

41c.jpg

41d.jpg

41e.jpg

2. Giri

Giri Subscriber

3. Giri

Giri Subscriber

No preheat cup

41i.jpg

41j.jpg

41k.jpg

No preheat - large flame at the beginning.

41n.jpg

Settles down

41o.jpg

4. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Nice. This is the "real" Ernie Pyle stove, in the sense that Coleman presented him with one of the nickel tank ones, after he had written glowingly about the olive green ones at the front. According to @flivver the preheat cup was added on later-built stoves because the flaring (like on your start-up) was attracting unwanted attention from artillery.

Since this one is dated 1941, I suspect it may have been a prototype. They started painting them green pretty early. I could be wrong, though. I've seen a few nickel ones over the years.

The canister looks more like the bottom of a 530 canister than the one for the 520, but it looks like thicker-gauge metal than the 530 canister, and doesn't have the 530's clip for the pot holder. I wonder if the early 520s just had a one-piece canister? Also interesting that is has four folding feet. The ones I've seen have three.

Really nice find, and a worthwhile splurge!

....Arch

5. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Over a million of the 520 stoves were made for the war, but as far as I know only about 1000 of these nickle plated, four legged stoves were made.
    They were made in 1941 before the more familiar painted ones first saw service in 1942.

6. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Thank you Giri,
    Excellent reference post and a real treasure of a stove, beautiful and it's a piece of history to boot.
    CONGRATS!!! You can cross it off your list aye. +1 with Arch that's a worthwhile splurge. It's a stove imo that holds the No.1 spot on many a stovie wish lists, most collectors will never get one. There's just not enough to go around :(.
    In a Sam 520 post I shared some observations to-date re Coleman 520s including:
    "1941: brass tank, 4 leg, small fill tube, aluminum "top half" tin, (nickel plated tank vs all others painted)" and later a comment
    "A '41 example with a '41 steel tin (protects whole stove) will be a welcomed line item (maybe even a green '41?), I have not seen either of these to-date." [the few 41's I've seen are nickel, if there's a tin, it's an aluminum half tin like the OP]

I vaguely recall an article describing the 1941 520s in Nickel, was it 1,000... wishful thinking on my part that some moderator magic might occur in a future edit and add link to an on-topic article in Trevor's above comment.
    thx omc

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  7. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

I think that one of my early sources for the 1000 of these nickle plated, four legged stoves came from Terry Marsh's excellent site.
    Third image down this page.

8. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout Subscriber

:shock: Very nice for sure and burns perfectly, well done! Jerry

9. Giri

Giri Subscriber

The few photos about on the internet show only the half cup.

So, I imagine the 41's were issued only the half.

The groove on the inside of the cup mates with the spring clip on the stove frame.

I imagine the stove was meant to be stored upside down, resting on the cup.

Otherwise it is a bit of a pain to pack it right side up, the feet deploy out as soon as it is flipped over.

10. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

The above info is correct. Yours is the stove that is referred to as the Ernie Pyle stove They came with four legs a half canister and no primmer cup. I had one for many years that was given to me by a Vet. that carried it in WW11. Yours appears to be a very nice and complete example. Mike...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  11. Huang Chun Chieh

I also want a complete one. :content:

12. konabill

DAEEBDD7-92C3-42A0-AE0A-CE16FE704CA3.jpeg Not sure why the 1941 Coleman is considered the Ernie Pyle stove.....He first mentioned the Coleman issued stove in 1943 and reported about the special stove the employees of Coleman handmade with his name inscribed in 1944 .....these 1941 dated stoves predate any dealings with Ernie Pyle.

13. konabill

AF58B334-551A-40B7-BB78-BC7BDAD64F5E.jpeg 29EC34AC-F315-40E7-88D5-D065F4501499.jpeg In 1941 Coleman was also producing green painted 520s

The 1941s I have and have seen are labeled for the office of civil defense and not military issue.

14. konabill

12041747-6C73-4E90-9B11-6ED9E082ACB6.jpeg AF8B86F9-B6E8-4BDE-AA17-F8A9DBF7150A.jpeg Maybe the Coleman “ Cold Climate stove” and limited procurement
    Account for the 1941 nickel fount stoves....?? Just bouncing ideas here...
    It’s funny that even the Coleman website claims the 520 was designed in only 60 days during 1942

15. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Great stuff. Thanks for posting this info.

16. OMC

OMC Subscriber

konabill,
    First and foremost I thank you so very much. Revisiting this from your perspective has been enlightening and provides new details :thumbup::thumbup:.

Your comments are clear and I understand your context and why you would ask: "Not sure why the 1941 Coleman is considered the Ernie Pyle stove"... ?
    I can not answer that entirely. It's a good question.
    For one, it would be great to, one day, link to the actual chromium stove from Coleman w/Ernie's name on it (gifted in 1944 but what year is it?).

With topic of the actual stove aside. If we collectors want the closest thing, that is the nickel plated 1941 No.520 / M1941. … because the stove Coleman gifted Ernie was chromium plated. So I do get your point but can also see how the '41 nickel plated 520 is referred to as "An Ernie Pyle". That is best I can offer BUT I have no doubt many collectors are unaware of the 1941 vs c1944 discrepancy you share above.

@konabill Seeing your green 1941 520 is a revelation for me. I have a question, is it a steel tank?
    thanks again, omc

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  17. konabill

Thank you for an open minded reply OMC

“We kept hearing about it over here for weeks” from the September 1944 article...... Ernie Pyle describes the anticipation of receiving his new stove.
    Gifted and manufactured in 1944 according to Ernie Pyle himself.....and “ all handmade”

And per your request......the green 1941 fount is brass, 1942 is steel though.

Not to take away from the original poster who has a very uncommon stove that I like very much.......thank you Giri for starting this thread.