1941 stamped 520 - 4 legger

Discussion in 'Military' started by Simbat, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Simbat

Hello everyone,

This is my 520 stove. This one is form 1941. It's a four legged stove and it has a prime cup. The difference with my other stove is that this one has a smaller pump knob, a different fuel velve wheel (knob) and a big filler hole. I will try to restore this stove and try to let it work.

Stamped

U.S.
    American

1254584549-520_1941_a.jpg 1254584556-520_1941.jpg 1254584563-520_1941_b.jpg 1254584581-520_1941_c.jpg 1254584587-520_1941_d.jpg 1254585666-520_1941_e.jpg

Cheers, Milco

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. RonPH

Looks to me like the pump knob is one of a Coleman and perhaps produced by them for the military.

3. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi Simbat: The more we learn: Yours is the oldest 520 I have seen with priming cup. Thanks for posting. can't wait to see it running!! Mike...

PS Note clip toward bottom of one of the upright supports. This rare variant uses the half (canister single piece) that is held in place by that clip. You can see one on the
    Terry Marsh web site.

4. Rick b

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  5. Knight84

Hello,

A very interesting stove. The large filler hole strikes me as different and off but I am not surprised. Coleman seemed to be all over the map when it came to making these stoves. Some with smaller filler cap some with 3 feet. Interesting indeed, thanks for sharing
    check out this Link

How is the steel tank, no leaks ? or rust?

Cheers,
    Jeff

6. Simbat

Hello,

Today I looked better at the stove, I only got it yesterday, and came to the conclusion that the pump works. It builds up pressure and stays under pressure. So there are no leaks in the tank. There is a little bit of rust on the inside, but this is not worrying. The valve and the needle handle won’t turn. The tube with spare parts is missing.

1254650107-pump_520.jpg

I made a picture of the difference in pumps. The left one is made in 1945 and the right one is made in 1941.

1254650116-tank_520.jpg

I also made pictures of the inside the tank. The left one is made in 1945 and the right one is made in 1941.

Milco

7. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

The pump on the right - does it also 'lock' like the pump on the left?

8. Simbat

Hello Trevor,

Yes, it locks also like the pump on the left.

Milco

9. shagratork

Thanks for that Milco.

Yesterday I had a pre-fettle look at one of my 520 stoves and found it had a pump like yours on the right - but it does not lock. Looks like I will have to take out the NRV assembly to see what is wrong.

Does anyone have a link to an 'exploded' diagram of this type of pump assembly?

10. Rick b

11. shagratork

Hi Rick, thanks for the link.
    I have not been to that site before.

I also do not have instruction sheets for the 520 so I will print some off.

Unfortunately, when the diagrams are magnified to look at the detail, the resolution is low and so the detail can not be seen.

But once again, thanks! :D

12. Rick b

Hi Trevor, here is another from the Old Town Coleman site. On the first page you might be able to copy and paste to a word doc or another type of doc and then increse the size. It might
    give better detail.

http://www.oldtownyucca.com/coleman/scans/520_1.htm

13. shagratork

Thanks again, Rick.

I have already looked at the Old Town site.

Like the other site, the instructions are of low resolution but also they do not show the pump I am interested in.

14. Knight84

Hello everyone,

What do you mean Trevor when you say your pump won't lock?
    The check valve or positive lock check valve is a very simple design. It needs the pump air stem and the ball valve to work properly. The check valve is a steel ball held captive inside a brass chamber/tube. It can only travel up and down about 2.20 mm. The pump air stem is a glorified screw/bolt. Note: the slot in it to allow for air to pass by.

Air pressure in the tank keeps the ball up against the top and creates a seal. When you pump down you force the ball down allowing for air to pass by.
    When you are done pumping; screwing down the pump air stem makes a brass on brass seal. The pump stem does not hold or force the ball down. The two work independent from each other.

The ball simply keeps the air pressure in the tank while you do the up stroke on the pump.

Here are some shots of a Coleman 530 check valve, similar to the 520. Sorry I will remove the 520's when I find my tool for it.

In this picture the ball is down. It would only be like this if there was no pressure in the tank.
    1254710670-IMG_2128_opt.jpg

In the picture below the ball is down. It would be like that if there was pressure in the tank.
    1254710680-IMG_2149_opt.jpg

A not so great shot of where the pump air stem seats itself.
    1254710689-IMG_2132_opt.jpg

The check valve sometimes is just stuck and can be fixed by some hard pumping or small wire. Removal can be hard. A large flat nose (slotted) screw driver can be filed down to work. I prefer the proper tool because the valve body is made out of soft brass.

I hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Jeff

15. Knight84

Sorry forgot to mention this old town Coleman Link

It has lots of good info about removing and re-assembly of the check valve.

Not to insult anyone but one warning about working on these stoves. Don't put the stove or tank in a vise. The tanks crack easy.

Best regards,
    Jeff

16. Simbat

Hi everyone,

I've got my tank repainted in the original colour, but I have a question.
    This stove should be a stove with a half canister, but as you can see on the picture, the filler cap is in the way.
    Is there someone who can tell me what is wrong? I think that the filler cap is the wrong one.
    Is there someone who has a picture from the right one. I mean from a stove of 1941.
    The other thing is that the tank has a thickened topside, probably it was made in a different way.

1255081981-tank_520_b.jpg 1255081990-100_0747.jpg

I'm looking forward to your answers.

Milco

17. flivver

Hi: Yes I believe you have the wrong cap. The half canister is a loose fit. Mike...

18. shagratork

The photos at the start of this thread show a different filler-cap.

19. flivver

Simbat: It should have the same cap as your 43'. Mike...

20. Simbat

You are right Trevor, at the beginning of the thread the cap is another cap, probably one from a seventies stove or lamp. On the last picture you see the cap of my '45 junk stove.

Mike, I used the cap of my '43 too but this one doesn't fit also. Might this be the reason that the later model has a smaller filler hole.

Milco