1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1943 US Coleman 523

Discussion in 'Military' started by plumberted, Nov 14, 2016.

1. plumberted

plumberted United Kingdom Subscriber

I have just got round to restoring this stove and found an inscription on the instruction plate US Coleman 1943. When dismantling it I found 2 tubes fastened underneath with a complete set of spares for both burners! It works brilliantly but there is no simmer control,the roarer burners are either full on or it extinguishes itself when trying to adjust the control knobs. A great stove.

IMG_4991.JPG

IMG_4993.JPG

IMG_4994.JPG

IMG_4995.JPG

IMG_4996.JPG

IMG_4997.JPG

IMG_4998.JPG

2. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

Hi,

You can get a very nice simmer using the cleaning needle. The pricker lever "is" designed to be the simmer control and that is per Coleman. It does get quite hot so you will either need a glove or use a tool to turn the pricker lever. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Norman

3. snwcmpr United States

I have heard the same.

4. ulysses

ulysses United States Subscriber

I have two 523's, and have used them for some cooking duties. They do a good job of cremating grilled cheese sandwiches and spam slices, but are excellent for their designed use; boiling water fast for sterilizing medical instruments. I have heard these called "vehicle stoves" and think I can remember 523 stoves without the Medical Department insignia. I think that a slightly modified / upgraded 523 was produced for the US Army until the 1980's.

There is some information that the Coleman 500 was purchased and issued to US Army units early in the US involvement in WWII. I've seen a Canadian 500 (on CCS, I think) painted in olive drab paint, at least a suggestion that it was a military stove.

Paul

5. scouterjan

scouterjan Canada Subscriber

I have the Armstrong version, great for 2 pots of coffee, for better simmer use the cleaning needles and don't pump it up as much
    Jan

6. ArchMc

ArchMc United States Subscriber

I think these were just designed for medical use, and therefore no provision was made for simmering.

....Arch