1944 Primus 41

Discussion in 'Primus No:41' started by lanevitt, Aug 8, 2009.

1. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Here has to be one of my most loved stoves.
    I got this at a car boot sale some years ago for £4.00.

1249765458-primus_41__1__opt.jpg 1249765727-primus_41__3__opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Littledre

Lovely, does it work?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  3. Littledre

Looking through the gallery at Primus No.41's I noticed Ross mentioned a Primus 341, I found one in a 1948 catalogue but does anyone own one.

4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

What year is it? All the ones I've seen have been date coded. It'd be good to have a date to help establish a timeline.

A bargain & an excellent stove. One of my favs

5. idahostoveguy

Nice stove!

sam

6. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

I have added a photo of the date code, not sure myself how to read the codes :doh:

And yes it does run, but i need to find a supplier of paraffin in Denmark. Any Danes in the forum ?

Andrew.

looking at the primus dating chart i see it could be from 1944, but is the 5 a ref. to the month ? I also thought this stove came out in the fifties ??? :-k

7. brassnipplekey

Internal Link to Primus dating chart .
    AI (marked on your 41 ) would indicate 1944.

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, Lanevitt,

Like you, my Primus 41, dated 1955, is one of my most beloved stoves!! It came from a special fellow whom I'm proud to call a friend, and I will treasure it always!! Mine works wonderfully, and the pump action is the most smooth of any stove I have. Brilliant design, as far as I'm concerned! Even if I ever decide to get out of the "stove collecting thing", this is one stove that I'll keep!! Congrats on having one of the very best of the lot, and thanks for sharing it with us. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Thanks for your comments
    So where did i go wrong as far as reading the date code ? and can anyone tell me what the large 5 denotes ?

Thanks again Andrew.

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, Andrew,

You were right about your date, as "Al" does - 1944. I think that the extra numbers, like your number 5, have yet to be completely figured out. Maybe someday, the reason for those numbers will come to light, but most of us simply don't know why there were there.... unless I missed something! ;) 8) :D My Primus 41 is later than your's, and has a different date code. Congrats on a fine stove, Andrew and thanks for sharing it with us! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

11. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Taking a closer look at the stamp on the tank,
    to me the A1 and the outer circle looks to be one stamp, showing a shallow impression in the metal. The five looks a deeper crisper impression
    into the metal,sugesting a second stamping operation.
    If a manufacturer feels the need to date the year of production with a stamp, would they not give it a more accurate traceable date with a month code ?

12. joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co

joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co Subscriber

Actually one year ago picking up a lamp, I held one in it's original box, brandnew. The seller should have about 40€ for it, and at that time I was not so interested in stoves, so therefore I have something to regret today.

Best Regards
    Joakim

13. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

I also said a could see the 41 in the 1945 & 1948 catalogues but not the 1947 one. I looked closer it is there. Good to push it back another year as '45 was the earliest reference I'd seen.

There's all sorts of codes they could have used to improve traceability but for their needs combined with the other code it obviously sufficed. There is a document that shows the secondary code - '5' in this case, doesn't relate to date but rather to something vague - the arbet. nummer. Could be as many people suspected a work area - work station etc etc

14. dday

dday Subscriber

Thanks to Andrew (lanevitt), I now have a very nice primus 41 that is an awesome little stove. I really like the compact design, but cannot understand why Optimus never continued manufacturing these great stoves. After receiving it from Andrew in Norway, I stripped the case, primed and painted, replaced the tank seal and nrv plug, new cleaning needle and jet as well as a little brass cleaning and I was good to go. The worst part of receiving this 41 roarer is now I just have to have a 41 silent ](*,) . Not a good thing to be a stoveaholic :lol: .
    Take care,
    Dan
    1259532339-100_1378_opt.jpg 1259532368-100_1377_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, DDay,

What an outstanding stove those Primus 41's are!!! Oh, yeah!! I, too, came by mine through the kind and generous auspices of a fine friend at CCS! (and you KNOW who you are, my Friend!! Thanks, always!) :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :D/ :D/ :D :D

The 41 is, in some ways, better than the 111, in my opinion. I really like the windscreen, and also the way the tank is setup outside the case, when in use. Mine primes very easily, and is the easiest pumping stove I own, and that's saying something, Mate!! ;) :D Plus, it extremely powerful, and also simmers very well, too. Great stove, all around. Your's is lovely, indeed, and looks to be a real winner! Congratulations to you on owning such a fine stove, and best wishes for many outstanding years of using it! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. I, too, have the "wants" for a silent 41, now, just like you!! Hey, Robert has two of them, I think..... want to do a Ninja raid on his house??? Nahhhhh!! He's also got twin .50 caliber machine guns, turret-mounted, on top of his stove room!! :shock: :shock: Guess we would be better off by sticking to "the bay of evil", and swap meets..... ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

16. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

another one for the want list--could you post a shot of how it fits in the case?

17. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Dave,

Here's a shot of mine taken from the SRG:

Primus 41 Packed in Case

I agree with others - great stoves and I too prefer mine to a vanilla kero 111 roarer. The windshield is good and the pot supports better.

Dan - great fettle, especially the case.

Cheers, Graham.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  18. kablamachunk

hello gentlemen;...i luv these stoves also...i have recently refitted a new cleaning needle to a 1953 military p41 and most likely did not reduce it to proper specs cuz i now have a very powerful flame but asymmetrical and yellow on one side..i also think i over torqued the burner when i put it back together(not sure if putting a washer on either side of spirit cup is the proper layout(i used flashing for washers i think)..i have a 111b roarer and a 9061 enders and i say this: the p41 is for gourmet cooking anywhere...the 111b is the workhorse and the 9061 the sleek field operative...my p41s r both silent/ one brass tank one nickel(which needs to b cleaned and maybe quenched(hvnt ever done this yet)..tnx for the flame shot now i kno what to strive for...k

19. Lance

I want one. Pleeeeeeeese mommy can i have just one of these pretties? You never get me annnnnnnnny thinggggggggg. whaaaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaa.

lance

20. kablamachunk

i am going to freeze this winter but ah gots my p41s...k |imgRemoved| 1259585071-DSCN6656_opt.jpg |imgRemoved|

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015