1951 - Primus No. 56

Discussion in 'Primus No:56' started by New to stoves, Feb 2, 2021.

1. New to stoves

New to stoves United States Subscriber

I found this Primus stove today in an antique shop. I knew it was missing some pieces but was hoping to find them to finish this out. Any comments, feedback or suggestions where to find parts? And honestly I don’t exactly know what I need to be looking for. It says Primus 56.

924D2160-7261-41FB-AB6B-87E46C0C8807.jpeg 8CAD74CB-4A99-4D72-B1C4-419FDDA25990.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2021
  2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

You've come to the right place; expertise will be forthcoming. It's a Swedish-made kerosene burning pressure stove with an adjustable silent burner.

Welcome to CCS. If you stick around, you'll soon need a new cognomen!

3. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

Welcome to CCS! Looks like you have found a great way to enter the fascinating stove world! You will find much good help here!

Tom

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Welcome, @New to stoves.

You have most of a good Primus stove.

1. The stamping on the top of the tank is No. 56. You can use that number to then explore the Reference Gallery and other parts of CCS to learn more about your stove.

Primus Dating Chart 1911 - 1964

2. Underneath the stove will be a stamp (usually) that has letters and a number in a circle. The letters are a date code:

Primus Dating Chart 1911 - 1964

3. You need to get an outer cap for your burner; and “legs” for a pot rest. When you identify the model, these components will be shown here on CCS.

4. You will need to service the stove by at least replacing the seals. Replacement kits are available from the site sponsor The Fettlebox.

Nice stove!

Cheers

Tony

5. New to stoves

Thanks for the welcome! And thanks for helping identify the parts needed and replacement kits. I'll check that out.

A couple of the knobs are stuck and won't turn. I will look for a mark underneath later tonight.

I was slightly familiar with the Primus name as I have seen their blow torches online. Thought I'd take a chance on this stove, even though it wasn't complete. Paid $16 and change out the door for it. I sometimes get myself in trouble buying incomplete things and then having to track down parts. But figured $16 was worth a gamble. Plus, it looks really cool and would love to see it working. Trying to teach myself some new skills - repairing, polishing, removing rust, etc.

6. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

7. Gunner

I would offer a word of advice from a friend whose hobby is rebuilding old Brit bikes - never EVER throw any bit away, no matter how how bent or broken it might be. It's so much easier, if you need a certain part, to be able to send somebody a picture, or to measure it up for dimensions, rather than just saying, "Well, it was sort of like this . . . I think . . . but I can't quite remember . . ."

This is especially worth doing as it appears that the Model 56 is pretty rare, so spares for it may be quite tricky to get hold of as compared to the more common types - and handle that adjustable burner with care! Base Camp, in England, sell spares for many stoves and lamps, and their website is also a handy source of info (link below). They list an adjustable burner for 2 pint paraffin stoves - £156!! Add on the shipping costs, and I doubt you'd get much change out of $200 (plus possible customs charges :( )

My restorer friend also made a practise of taking pictures of everything as he was stripping a bike down, even to showing what order washers went on a certain part. Granted, a stove is nowhere near as complex as even the simplest motorbike, but it's still good working practise.

My tip (learned yesterday when I came within a whisker of losing a tiny but vital part) - when you're taking something to pieces, always do it over a container (such as a Tupperware box), so that when you drop something, it lands in the box!

I'm sure that other members will respond, who are able to give you more specific info as to how to check it over before firing it up, but I hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Gunner

Link to Base Camp's website:
    base-camp.co.uk

8. New to stoves

Did not see any markings underneath. Trying to find part numbers on the website.

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @New to stoves

The link posted by @abbahco1 above will help you with parts.

Is there a series of numbers anywhere on the stove?

Cheers

Tony

10. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @New to stoves

The date code nos. should be stamped at the centre of the base of the tank.

This is a relatively rare stove. I checked in the Primus catalogues and then confirmed in Trevor's excellent Hyperlinked Index that the Primus No.56 was only listed in the !951 and 1952 catalogues. So, a post-WW2 model only offered for a few years in the Late 1940s /early 1950s....

It was an expensive stove, compared to the equivalent size Primus stoves fitted with the cheaper roarer or silent burners, because it was fitted with the "new" Part No.4155 regulated silent burner introduced in 1940.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

11. New to stoves

Thanks for the info! Looking around to see if I can find the missing parts. Looked in the reference catalog for the part #'s. Underneath is pretty messy and likely needs cleaned up a bit before being able to read any numbers or symbols. Any suggestions on how to quickly clean up the bottom to read the number/symbol underneath?

12. New to stoves

By the way, there also seems to be a bit of liquid/some kind of fuel still inside. Any suggestions on removing it? The filling cap seems to be pretty stuck and didn't want to mess around with it just yet.

13. kerophile

Hi @New to stoves , It would be helpful if you could tell us how familiar you are with do-it-yourself and handling basic tools....

We get people with a wide range of skills visiting the CCS Site and before advising them it is useful to have some idea of their level of competence / skills and their access to some basic hand tools.

You have most of a very interesting Primus stove there, and we would all love to see it fixed-up and running again.

Regarding the bottom marking, have a look through this old post and see what is said about basic cleaning of the tank surface:

Stove restoration. Parts 1 to 4

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  14. kerophile

If you want to consider opening the stuck filler-cap to remove and dispose of the old stale fuel:

1. Remember these vintage stoves are made from relatively soft brass , NOT hardened steel. Handle them carefully and do not apply excessive force!

“If you cannot get the filler cap off:

You are looking for some differential thermal expansion of the filler cap. Try pouring a kettle of boiling water over the cap, then try undoing the cap (by turning anti-clockwise). Use a piece of scrap leather or rubber sheet to protect the cap from any damage from grips or pliers.
    If you cannot get any movement, soak the cap in some release oil or fluid overnight, then try again.”

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

15. Gunner

@kerophile; @New to stoves;

if the 'hot water on the filler cap' doesn't work, do you think it would be worth trying putting the stove in the fridge to chill down, and then trying hot water on the filler cap, to maximise the temperature difference?

Best regards,
    Gunner

16. kerophile

Hi Gunner, in theory a good idea but for those of us with partners of the opposite gender, putting a paraffin-filled stove in the fridge is a life-threatening act

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

17. Gunner

@kerophile - I dunno. :roll:
    Some women have got no sense of adventure, have they?
    :mrgreen:

18. kerophile

Plus, they can smell kerosene over five miles away, even down-wind!

19. New to stoves

@kerophile - thanks for the info. I am eager, but I will be honest to rate my skills as novice. I have worked with some tools, but not everyday. Depends upon what kind of tool and in what way. I will say that I am not going to do anything that will damage the stove without much counsel and knowing what I am doing and why I am doing it.

20. Gunner

That attitude, and being willing to take your time over the learning process, will take you a very long way - and good for you!

Gunner