1952 Primus 71 nickel

Discussion in 'Primus No:71' started by Sternenlicht, May 2, 2017.

1. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Hej everybody,

a few days ago I found a Primus 71 stove, which should replace my Primus CTR 8 as a user. As I received the stove, I was really surprised because it is plated with nickel and in a really good shape. The bottom is stamped with AR so it was produced in 1952.
    Unfortunately the stove has no flame regulation as the CTR stove.
    After replacing the fuelcap sealing I fired it, it burns with a nice blue and strong flame. Flameshots will follow.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

Ciao Bastian

2. Caveman

Hi Bastian,
    Good morning and nice nickel 71! These are my favorites for stovetop expresso coffee.
    It should regulate down to a simmer. Maybe the packing nut has been over tightened making the spindle stiff or valve tip/seat are in need of a tidy up. If it shuts off and does not leak it should be able to simmer? A little fettling could be in order. Maybe a wick replacement?
    Tip: prime with the stove sitting on the door flap not inside the case. Get some high temp exhaust manifold paint and spray the pot rest area to minimise further rust. This is a hard area to repair.
    cheers
    B

3. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Hej Caveman,

the stove runs great, it is possible to simmer quite low, the spindle packing is tight and the wick also seems to be in good order. Only the part below the jet had to be cleaned.

Thanks for the tip of painting the pot rest, but how to remove the rust without bathing it into acid?

Ciao, Bastian

4. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

Love that nickel! I have a brass version very similar to yours that I use on day hikes and ski tours. Runs perfectly every time, great stoves! Jerry

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  6. Caveman

It looks like light rust, just pitting a little....try dilute acid or Evaporust combined with a light mechanical attack. Steel wool, small wire brush on dremel tool. I use a low pressure sand blaster with 50micron aluminium oxide. Then paint immediately.
    Cheers
    B