1954 Primus 71E - Unfired

Discussion in 'Primus No:71' started by snwcmpr, Nov 10, 2013.

1. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

OK, no flame shots. But now that you are here ...

Yesterday I got an unused 1954 Primus 71E. The offer was accepted, he really didn't want to part with it, and I said if he wants it back, just say so.
    I was studying some pictures, and it seems the filler cap is different than the 1952. so 1953 or 1954 the screw was added.

I hope you enjoy.

Ken in NC

1384125983-Primus_71E_-_1954_-_Unfired__1_.jpg

1384125993-Primus_71E_-_1954_-_Unfired__2_.jpg

1384126000-Primus_71E_-_1954_-_Unfired__3_.jpg

1384126007-Primus_71E_-_1954_-_Unfired__4_.jpg

1384126014-Primus_71E_-_1954_-_Unfired__5_.jpg

1384126020-Primus_71E_-_1954_-_Unfired__6_.jpg

1384126037-Primus_71E_-_1954_-_Unfired__7_.jpg

1384126045-Primus_71E_-_1954_-_Unfired__8_.jpg

1384126053-Primus_71E_-_1954_-_Unfired__9_.jpg

1384126072-Primus_71E_-_1954_-_Unfired__10_.jpg

1384126081-Primus_71E_-_1954_-_Unfired__11_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. DAVE GIBSON

OMG..that there is stuff like that still walking around loose just floors me.the cardboard is still in place!!!..hang on i need to take a breather-------------ok...
    now i see where the pot lifter really should go i'll run down to the gear storage it make it right on mine..
    your offer to give it back is the mark of a true gentleman--no joke--

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

The pot lifter is a bit of a trick.
    If you lift it a mm .. it will allow a bit of a spin, and as you lift it .. it will spin more until it is free. A really tight fit.

Ken

4. Matukat

Beautiful stove Ken! :mrgreen:

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Ken,

Stunningly lovely!! I'd keep it a virgin, but that's just me. Have fun with it, no matter how you decide to go about that! Congrats, and yes, you are a true Gentleman, my friend!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

6. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Ken,

if I were a poet I'd write a poem right now.... Kinda makes me lyrical! :lol: :D/
    Personally, I'd keep her a virgin, and look out for a "used user". To lovely to not keep her pristine.

All the best,

Wim

7. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Ken. Wow, what a great find! Funny that on Saturday I was cleaning the 'AT' 1954 71E that I picked up recently, though not mint like yours. Thanks for showing the handle stowage, I was wondering where best to put it, now I know :thumbup: .

Are those rolled up instructions specific to the 71E? I notice there are none in the CCS Instructions Library.

Regards,
    Terry

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

WOW! I feel like I had something to do with this stove not being fired. I didn't. I am just lucky to have it. Someone(s) else had the willpower to not light it, as well as the gentleman I got it from.
    If it is clear enough how to store the handle, ok, if not, I can photograph a few as it is placed in and out.
    The instructions, I didn't even unroll it. I will look. If specific for the 'E', I will scan it.

No, I cannot find it in myself to light it. That and the fact that my friend may sometime ask for it back when the situation warrants, and for that I need to keep it unlit for him. I feel like a caretaker of something historically important.

Ken in NC
    I am an 'AS', and I am not UN-fired.

9. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Ahaa, the pot lifter!

Would you be willing to take a few more pictures of it for me please? I need to recreate one for mine.

Alec.

10. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Here are 2 close ups of the pot lifter.
    The width at the 'bend' is exactly the same as the width of the pot stand cut-out. It needs to be twisted, gently, as it is lowered into the opening.

Ken in NC

1384180854-Optimus00_Handle__1_.jpg
    1384180868-Optimus00_Handle__2_.jpg

11. Tracer

Tracer Subscriber

That is such a lovely stove.
    I have one myself, and I won one yesterday at Ebay.
    Still looking for the one with 2 pots.

That they still excist in new condition is unbelievable.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

12. DAVE GIBSON

not like this :(

1384205005-lifter_wrong.jpg

like this :D

1384205069-lifter_right.jpg

this wonderful kit has been down in my camp gear storage for awhile,i'll keep it in my den now.i got it for canoe tripping but it is so nice i left it home and take cheap gaz burners :-s
    by the way i found out how to resize photos so expect more now...

13. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Beautiful snwcmpr, and thanks for posting the measurements of the handle. They also came as a wire handle I believe. These are excellent combos and one of my favorites for size, flexibility, effectiveness etc.

lol Dave, so now your kit (or at least owner) is happy by repositioning the handle. Looks sharp! You have an Optimus pump cap on yours? I don't know if this interests you, but I put a sleeve (old thin-weight nylon) around the aluminum insert and the stove inside a kids fleece sock before packing her all up inside the nesting pot/stove case. This prevents items 'rattling' inside the case + protects interior from further scratches. The case itself goes inside another sleeve (mid-weight nylon arm sleeve cut to size from a zip-neck shirt that no longer fits the kids) to protect it and the other gear around it while packed in a Canoe pack.

14. DAVE GIBSON

molson..sharp eyes to spot the pump cap hidden away
    in the back of the case.yes i like the lifter stowed away as it came new and good ideas on covers for the stove and it's bits.
    it's not been out on canoe trips,just day hikes where i stuff a wash cloth around the stove.
    the lid/pan has a nice circle of chatter marks that the last owners travels left on it!!!

15. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Hi Dave,

'Chatter' marks - you mean they inscribed dates and locations on it (from past trips?) or those 'wear' marks left by pan supports (e.g. 'character') on the inside lid? Yeah, aluminum scratches very easily. These days they'd be made of (or at least offered in) Titanium, sigh...

16. DAVE GIBSON

molson.the prongs on the pot holders make a nice round pattern on the underside of the lid.

17. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Trojandog/Terry,
    The instructions are standard 71 instructions. Not for the 71E.

Ken in NC

18. fyrwokr

fyrwokr Subscriber

What a great find and the handle rest - so easy but I didn't figure mine out till you pointed it out in your post