1955 No.702 plus London furnace

Discussion in 'Primus No:702' started by nmp, Feb 3, 2012.

1. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

1328286042-DSCN2120_opt.jpg

Pre restoration Photo of a 1955 Primus 702 and a London furnace stove used to melt lead during plumbing etc?
    More to follow I hope when its working!
    Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi nmp i rember my great uncle who was a traditional lead plumber who had one of those Primus London furnaces in his shed,in fact it was that and his old Monitor blow lamp that started my interest and collecting of blow lamps camping stove's and lanterns

3. nmp

Great memories Brian!
    Its a bit of a beast though isn't it.
    There is a fair amount of work to do on it as the pump tube has received a whack and has bent the tank a bit as well I may end up with a replacement tube,but it looks a funny size but that may be the scale of the tank distorting my perception of it.
    What do you reckon on sand blasting the iron work after getting it apart?
    Nick

4. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi nmp the pump tube does extend from the tank it i am looking forward to seeing it fired up i have never seen one of these fired up in its iron frame,as the one my uncle g#had was in the shed and there was little cause to use it in the 1970's as by then the only work in lead pipe work was repairing, but i do rember him useing his paraffin Monitor blowlamp a few times which i was fascinated in as a youngster,which started me off in the pressure stove's etc

5. nmp

I think its going to take some time to get sorted I may have a struggle getting or improvising parts?
    I am going to get it going as long as the tank is ok.
    Nick

6. Primus 96

Primus 96 Subscriber

Isn't that a glue pot on the stove?
    From when carpenters used animal-based glue. Bought as dry pellets and melted in a bath of hot water which would have been in the outer vessel.

7. nmp

The larger 'vessel' within which the inner pot is suspended in another cast ring has no bottom, its there to concentrate the heat from the burner around the crucible.I have one of those carpenters glue pots that you speak of so I know where you are coming from,the picture does not show the arrangement within the larger pot ,the big handle lifts the whole assembly for moving it about the work site I presume Health and safety would love it on site these days,people wandering about building sites with pots of molten metal suspended over raging jets of paraffin can you imagine it?!!!

8. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Here you are Nick
    Basically it is a long slotted bolt/screw, with the nut attached to the inside of the pot holder.

I am putting these pictures here with your stove, as I can't thumnail on the fettling forum, takes up too much space.

1328367745-IMG_3835_opt.jpg 1328367778-IMG_3836_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  9. nmp

Cheers mate.
    Nice and simple I guess the bolt has just fallen out not too big a problem.
    nick

10. nmp

Finished article.

1332109691-702_opt_fettled.jpg 1332109715-fettled702.jpg

11. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Looks marvelous!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
    I see you test-fired it, how did it go?

Best regards,

Wim

12. nmp

Wim
    Flame shots are in the flame shot thread started by Kerophile furnace not included at that stage.
    Thanks for the comment I thought some people would not like it too much as it is a bit over restored but with the cast iron you either do it or not there are no half measures.
    This thread should really be in the fettling forum I think?
    Cheers Nick

13. nmp

Final test Melting Lead!
    From starting the burner to molten in about 8 minutes!!

1332702649-DSCN2314.jpg

14. RoyJB

Hi, Have just seen this thread for the first time. I have one of these gathering dust (bought by my wife about 15 years ago). Having looked more closely, the London furnace part looks to be in pretty good shape. The Primus tank has taken a battering and there is quite a lot of repair soldering on it. That said it still holds pressure. The burner however is not so good. It has been bent and I cannot get any jet of paraffin through the nipple, which, itself, does not appear to be blocked. The nipple does not appear to be a standard size so I haven't got a nipple spanner that fits, so cannot do much more to it to find any blockage inside. Also the flame tube & its support are missing. So any ideas re a nipple tool, the missing burner bits, a replacement burner or a combination of all three? I would welcome some advice! regards

15. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

16. geneislucky

Melting lead! Great photo and restoration.