1956 Primus 41

Discussion in 'Primus No:41' started by CS56, Dec 3, 2017.

1. CS56

[This is my very first post - I hope I've got the protocol right!]

Got myself a 41.

I just love the fat tank! I suppose some of words we may use to describe the tank are bulbous, podgy, portly, stubby or tubby. It great when you get a 41 with the brass fuel tank that isn’t dented in any place.

This is the roaring version.

The letter code seems to read “AV 3 Z” but I can’t be sure. Many of these stoves seem to be lightly stamped or even half stamped. The area where the code is was polished by the previous owner presumably to get at the code.

Unfortunately, it is missing the push-knob of the pump.

It does not build up pressure and needs a new cup which I have - just haven’t got around to fixing it. It should clean up well but I haven’t the time.

It looks like the original paint was Drab Olive.

As you all know well, the inside top lid has a fold-out, hinged flat steel windshield that hooks into the pot support frame when deployed.

The stove just feels solid and well made.

PRIMUS 1.jpg

PRIMUS 2.jpg

PRIMUS 3.jpg

PRIMUS 3C.jpg

PRIMUS 3D.jpg

PRIMUS 4.jpg

PRIMUS 5.jpg

PRIMUS 6.jpg

PRIMUS 7.jpg

PRIMUS 8.jpg

PRIMUS 9.jpg

PRIMUS TANK 1.jpg

PRIMUS TANK 2.jpg

PRIMUS TANK 3.jpg

PRIMUS TANK 4.jpg

PRIMUS TANK 5.jpg

PRIMUS TANK 6.jpg

PRIMUS MODEL NUMBER.jpg

PRIMUS MODEL NUMBER 2.jpg

PRIMUS CODE NUMBER.jpg

PRIMUS BOWL.jpg

PRIMUS BURNER.jpg

PRIMUS KNOB.jpg

PRIMUS PARTS.jpg

PRIMUS PARTS 2.jpg

PRIMUS PUMP.jpg

PRIMUS SPINDLE.jpg

PRIMUS SPINDLE 2.jpg

PRIMUS SPINDLE DETACHED.jpg

PRIMUS CASE 1.jpg

PRIMUS CASE 2.jpg

PRIMUS CASE 3.jpg

PRIMUS CASE 4.jpg

PRIMUS LOCK.jpg

PRIMUS LOCK 2.jpg

PRIMUS LOCK 3.jpg

PRIMUS SHIELD.jpg

PRIMUS SHIELD 2.jpg

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @ C556 Welcome to CCS posting. You are fortunate to have acquired such a fine stove. The coding indicates that you Pr. 41 was manufactored in 1956:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/primus-dating-chart-1911-1963.11464/

We do not know what the second part of the coding, in your case 3Z, means.

Your stove has the correct “knob” for a Pr.41.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Nothing special. AV equals 1956. What I like about them is the fat tank and the fold out wind screen.
    Duane

4. kerophile

Hi, All 29 of the Primus No.41 stoves shown in the Reference gallery show the cap-style air pump knob used on your stove.

This post by Spirtburner includes a Parts illustration for the Pr.41:

However, the Pr.41 parts diagram from 1954 Shows both a “cap” style pump knob, part No.3039 (listed as pump handle) but also a complete pump assembly with a convention brass pump knob!

Confusing! It looks like an existing print block was used for this pump assembly.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/primus-41-spare-parts-c1954.23848/

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2017
  5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

First of many I hope and what a grand start! You hit the ground running with that one - the stove and the post itself. Great pics and commentary.

I’ve the silent burner version of the Primus and it raises a smile every time I use it, which is often.

Incidentally, your username suggests a connection with another not-so-commonly-found stove, the Tilley. One you have or aspire to get?

John

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

I have moved this thread from the Stove Forum to the reference gallery. All the details of the stove are shown in excellent photographs.

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@CS56

Good Morning!

Welcome to CCS! And, for a first post, this one was excellent, Sir!! Add to that comment, that the Primus 41 is a fantastic stove, and you've done very, very well!! Thanks for sharing your stove, and thanks for joining us here at CCS!! I think you'll find that this is THE place to be, when it comes to "things about stoves"!! Again, welcome, and have fun cleaning up and fettling your excellent #41!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @CS56

Welcome.

You have got a very fine stove.

Now to get it running.:lol:

Cheers

Tony

9. CS56

Thank you for your kind words, John.

In my own assessment, it is not this roaring burner version but the silent burner version that is really the Holy Grail of Primus stoves. You are fortunate to own one and I’m sure it gives you great pleasure using it.

You are right about the CS56 name I use. I used to have two Tilley CS 56 but have since passed them on. I still have detailed photos Ive taken of one of them and I may post sometime.

Kind regards
    CS56

10. CS56

Thank you Tony for your kind welcome to the stoves fraternity.

11. CS56

Thank you Trevor for moving the thread.

12. CS56

Thank you Doc for your kind response. It is indeed such a superb little stove. It it practical, robust and aesthetic. I guess I can’t ask for more - except perhaps the silent burner version.

13. CS56

Thank you Kerophile for your welcome. I didn’t know that the second part of the coding remains a mystery. But knowing the date helps.

I have another 41 and I have taken a photo of the pump “push-knob” that is on that stove to show what is missing on this one. I wonder if one can be machined from brass. Or better still a spare part located. That will complete it.

1 - Knob.jpg

1 - Knob 2.jpg

P-KNOB 1.jpg

P-KNOB 2.jpg

14. kerophile

Hi @CS56 Ah! Now I see. This push knob is a cap on a cap, so looking at your earller photos I thought your push knob was all present and correct. However the push cap has vertical knurling whilst the pump cap is cross-knurled.

I believe that Primus used the cap-on-a-cap arrangement to reduce the overall length of the air pump to allow the stove to fit in smaller cases/containers. This type of push cap can also be seen on some No.96 stoves.

Several years ago I made a Proptimus 41 “frankie” as I do not have a Pr.41. These stoves are rare and some of the spare parts even rarer.
    Here is a link to the thread:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/proptimus-no-41.15740/

I had to source a push cap for the project. If you scan through the photos there is one showing the air pump with a conventional pump knob, and with that arrangement the tank will not fit in the case.

A stove-friend, who alas no longer visits CCS, modified a filler cap that I sent him. The resulting push cap is cross-knurled, rather than vertical-knurled, but operationally is perfect.

To modify a filler cap to make a push cap the donor cap securing thread has to be removed, and the centre hole threaded to allow attachment to the pump shaft.

If you are interested I will check my spares box for a donor filler cap. Perhaps you could arrange for machining/modification to convert it to a push cap.

You must post more photos of your stove collection. Your debut with a beautiful Pr.41 was very impressive, then a day later you announce that you have another, and provide some photos!!!

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2017
  15. kerophile

Hi, here is an extract from Bryan Miller’s history of Pr.96 stoves:

Pump Lid and Knobs

Pre PTC pump lids and caps - Pre PTC pump knobs were not conventional in that they were not knobs. V1 used a plate instead of a knob. V2 used a cap which fitted over the pump lid when the rod was fully depressed. I have doubts as to whether the knobs on V2s are original as they are identical to that used on the first version of the Optimus 96 but the pump lid is different to it and different to that used on V3 stoves. I am suspicious as that type of knob and pump lid only appear to have been used for about a year.

[​IMG]

By 1921 the knurling on the knob had changed to two bands of diagonal knurling although the pump lid still had vertical knurling on it. This was used on at least the V4s.
    By 1927 the pump lid and pump cap had diamond knurling and this continued to be used until 1962 so this arrangement applied to most of the V5 and V6 stoves.

[​IMG]

16. Billyboy

17. CS56

Hi Kerophile,

Thank you for taking the trouble to give such a detailed explanation of the push knob for the 41. Yes it is essentially is “a cap on a cap” as you put it.

I have had a good look at your Proptimus 41. It is evidence of great skill and craftsmanship - something well well beyond me. And I see the photo of the air pump with a conventional pump knob.

I believe I do have a donor filler cap somewhere, I just need to locate it and have it machined as you suggest.

Yes, I do have another 41, a much cleaner one but unfortunately another one with a roarer burner. I will post pictures of it when I have the time. I have a video of it running at full bore but I yet to learn how to post a video.

And thank you for the extract from Bryan Miller’s history of Pr.96 stoves. I appreciate the intricacies of the subject.

18. CS56

Thank you Billyboy for your welcome.

Yes, I am well-aware of your beautiful 41 and the classy video you posted. I have watch it over and over again. The outfitter’s name on it is worth everything IMHO. It is not everyday that you come across a 41 this complete - even with the spirit tin clipped to the windscreen. The attached wrench is unique to the 41 and most finds do not come with it. Best of all it is a silent burner version which many aspire to get hold of. Fancy it being sold for $19.75 at one time!

Thank you again for posting it to the joy of many.