1960 STESCO HIKER PETROL STOVE

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by kaw550red, Jul 3, 2009.

1. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

I bought this stove in 1960 for £1 and since then I have always thought of it as my £1 stove.

1246633297-Stesco_Hiker_ass_opt.jpg 1246633323-Stesco_Hiker_insts_opt.jpg 1246633344-Stesco_Hiker_Tin_opt.jpg

It was bought as a back up to the two Optimus 80s that I had at that time. They constantly needed new burners through using leaded petrol. I only used this stove once and that was in the winter. I was that impressed with the stove that I went out and bought another 80! It took a long time to boil water in the cold weather. As you can see it has not had any attention after its single use.

I worked on the principle that I could always have two stoves working at any time. If one failed in use I still had the other to last until I got home and repaired the defunct one. I think that it was about then that I learned to clean the blocked burners which stopped my standing order for replacement 80 burners

The "safety valve" was very high tech. At the left of the assembled photo you will see a washer. This is made of thin lead. If the stove overheated the lead melted and released the pressure. If it got too pressurized the lead washer burst at the hole and released the pressure

Regards Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. itchy

Thanks for explaining the pressure release system. I have knock-off of the Stesco but there was no washer in the cap, and my solution was pretty rinky dink.

3. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi Itchy

The lead washer is very thin 0.038" or 0.97 mm.

I have no idea how effective it was. It may have needed both heat to melt AND pressure to blow the molten lead through the small hole.

I would not have liked to be near the stove if it blew as there was probably a good chance of being hit by a slug of hot lead

Regards Bryan

4. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

...followed by incineration in a stream of burning petrol! :doh:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015