1978 Optimus No.7 British MoD Stove.

Discussion in 'Military' started by kaw550red, Jan 8, 2010.

1. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Basically the stove is an Optimus 80 tank fitted with a Svea 123R burner assembly in a much heavier case than the 80 normally came in

The tins and stoves were issued separately so that either could be replaced if they failed.

The case was definitely numbered 7 and I am fairly certain that the stove was also numbered 7. The case had replaceable pan supports blind riveted to the top so that they could be replaced if they rusted through which 80 pan supports were prone to do. Instructions for using the stove were permanently fastened inside the case and on the tank of the stove. However those on the tank were prone to wear off presumably when the stove was polished.

The top of the case was dated and marked with the broad arrow used by the Ministry of Defence.

Basically the stoves were very robust with no loose parts to lose.

This is a genuine stove set. I used to make up the stoves and fit them in unused cases but I always stated that they were copies rather than originals.

1262964041-7_Open_opt.jpg 1262964058-7_stove_opt.jpg 1262964083-No_7_flame_opt.jpg 1262964099-7_case_opt.jpg

Regards Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. rik_uk3

Very nice Bryan

3. Troopiepete

That looks very similar to an old stove my dad has, no idea of it's age but think it's 30 or 40 yrs since he last used it! Opened it up metho still inside, lit it and it worked! Amazing little cooker.

The enclosure he has is more of a machine pressed style but no idea if it's the same brand. Nice little burner and for it's age is simply amazing it still works and the metho is ok!

4. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Pete, welcome to the forum. There is a whole bunch of stoves that are this size and look very similar. See the Swedish section of the Stove Reference Gallery. Have a look at Radius 42, Primus 70 & 71, Optimus 71 & 80. There are a few others but those are the most common. They all came in pressed steel tins.

Not sure what Aussie 'Metho' is? Is it alcohol/spirit like Meths in the UK? These little stoves all run on petrol/gasoline but not the modern road stuff (too many additives).

Regards,
    Terry

5. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

Bryan
    spotted this thought i'd add it here

1378402875-army_No7.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  6. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Superb! :clap:

Alec.