1981 Mint 99 Found

Discussion in 'Optimus No:99' started by Blueflame, May 7, 2016.

1. Blueflame

Blueflame Canada Subscriber

I found this at a yard sale today. I thought you may enjoy seeing it. Looks almost new...maybe fired up for testing..that's all. Has date of sale, with mini pump.Can someone tell me what the brass tube is for?. Thanks for watching.

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

Scan0037.jpg

2. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Wow! Great find.

....Arch

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi, you ask about the brass tube. This is not original equipment but could be very useful if priming the stove with alcohol.

Just dip the tube a couple of inches into a container of alcohol. Put a finger-tip on top to seal the tube, remove tube from container. Place lower end of tube in spirit--cup, carefully lift finger-tip. You have controlled flow and no wastage.

Of course if you use the pump to pressurise the tank, you can the open the regulator valve gently and prime with Coleman fuel.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
  4. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

On instructions page 2 (3c) they call the brass tube ( Pipette ). I don't know about you but my definition of Pipette is a little bit different than the one in the dictionary. Lolo

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    “Pipette”, as used in a chemical laboratory, has exactly the same function as @kerophile describes above.

Tony

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Blueflame ,

Excellent find, Good Sir!! You don't see those 99's in that wonderful condition too often, anymore, so you really scored!!! As to the brass tube, or "Pipette", I would refrain from sucking the fuel up through that tube!! Ever get a mouthful of gasoline??!! I have, and it's not fun, and should you accidentally swallow some of said gasoline, you will NOT like it, at all!! Don't ask me how I know this!! I use the method @kerophile detailed, and it works very, very well, indeed! In fact, I keep just such a brass tube near my bottle of 50/50 Acetone and ATF mix, to apply the penetrating oil to the exact place I want it, and not all over the place!! Works for camp stoves, too, and I, like George, prefer to prime my stoves with Meths, and this brass tube works a treat in that job, too!!

Again, very wonderful blessing, finding that lovely 99! I am very happy for your success, and thank you for sharing it with us here!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. Blueflame

Blueflame Canada Subscriber

My original post of 3 years ago.During that time I had the 99 but sold it...then acquired a 199 and sold that too. I enjoyed them when I had them. Some gentleman in Taiwan is enjoying his rice noodles with the 199.

8. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Another use for a section of Ali tent pole, a pipette, brilliant. :)

Original thought it was for stabbing youself in the leg if you ever sold it.