1985 Shmel-2

Discussion in 'Russia/USSR' started by burny pyromaniac, Dec 19, 2021.

1. burny pyromaniac Netherlands

Hi all,
    my last birthday was a special occasion, since it was a surprise to receive a stove from my precious family. A sign that, although found being weird, my weirdness on stove-issues must be accepted!
    I got a Shmel-2 stove, via the evil bay from Belarus.
    In a perfect state. I did some improvement on the pump-rod, but there still remains an improvement on pumping possible.
    It performes well, after good pressurising, and has accompanied us on summer holiday.
    IMG_3873.jpg IMG_3874.jpg IMG_3875.jpg IMG_3876.jpg IMG_000000.jpg

The manual shows the same burner as @kerophile showed us and has a stamp on it with 1985 as a date.
    Enjoy, Tonio

2. Boron40 United States

Looks beautiful! Good luck with it!

3. Gabriel Lorin

Hello everyone! I am about to FINALLY buy a liquid fuel stove from a romanian seller close to me(160 kms). Seems to be in good condition ,this is a photo of the stove running. I had to convince the seller to make a photo of the stove running! Can someone with more knowledge tell me what fuel is ideal to burn in this stove? Seller said its happiest while burning 100 octane gasoline! He also told me tommorow will have it packed well and sent to me/my adress! Can't wait to get my hands on this stove! From other users experience with this stove, is this a good/reliable stove?In all of Romania I think I found 12 liquid fuel stoves ,half don't work or sellers don't know anything about present condition of what they sell... Will have it around wednesday,hopefully... Here is a photo with it running. In a video on whatsapp flame while running turns to redish from blue. Is that a problem? image - 2023-11-03T193336.693.jpeg

4. Gabriel Lorin

What fuel do you burn in it? I don't understand a thing about russian language...

5. ajvuik

ajvuik Subscriber

1st of all, you shouldn't ask for help in the stove reference gallery. That's only meant for 'showing off' your stoves. But to answer your questions; The Shmelb family of stoves mostly run on petrol/white gas/Coleman fuel. With a different nipple, they should be able to run on paraffin/kerosene, since they are modeled after the Phoebus 625 stove. But I don't know if these nipples exist... I have to check my Shmelb 4.
    But my main bet would be Petrol/white gas/Coleman fuel.
    Starting yellow and settling on blue could mean many things. Maybe old fuel, maybe dust... When you receive the stove, I would give it a good clean and service all the seals and pips...

6. Gabriel Lorin

Got it. Thank you! P.s. I'll show off mine soon(2 days at most)
    P.p.s. in a way, I have allready "show off" my stove

7. Gabriel Lorin

Shmel 2 has arrived sooner! Grown up man 41 years old and I'm happy like a kid on Christmas day
    I've put some gas in it, think 200 ml more or less ,but not full. and it burned on high for 40 minute! WITH a nice blue flame! maybe its the gas, got the best there is ,98 octane! burns very hot! I have 2 videos but don't know how to upload them!
    of course ,safety later 40 minutes hot on a steel canister half full with gasoline (fresh 98)

Attached Files:

8. Gabriel Lorin

9. Gabriel Lorin

10. Gabriel Lorin