2 brass WW1 Enfield rifle oil bottles (from stove manufacturers).

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by igh371, Nov 7, 2019.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

The likes of J.S.&S. ('Governor'), Kenrick, Soutter and others were drawn into 'primus' stove and paraffin blowlamp production by 1918 due to the urgent demand for field equipment during WW1. Other manufacturers, later more well known for their stoves and blowlamps, were also drawn into armaments component work. Here are examples of WW1 Enfield rifle brass oil bottles made by Samuel Heath & Sons (of S.H.&S and Thermidor brands) and the Kings Norton Metal Company (of the short-lived Oriflamme stoves and blowlamps):
    SH&S oiler a.jpg SH&S oiler b.jpg SH&S oiler c.JPG KN oiler c.jpg

The vast majority of these WW1 Enfield rifle oil bottles were made by more established armaments manufacturers, but, amongst the myriad of smaller firms pulled in to supplement supply, examples from these 'stove manufacturers' do occasionally surface.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Never really checked who made mine. Of course, BSA did (I have 1918 smle made by them), but I don't have one of theirs. Of the 3 oil bottles lying downstairs 2 are EFD and one is a GABRIEL- BIRMm (short for Birmingham I guess). I'll have to see what is on the other ones in the attic (during daytime/light hours...).

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @igh371 and @Wim I remembered that we touched on this subject before on CCS:

Spirit cans

Who made the Bren gun oil can? It appears to be marked J&RO 1949 and I assumed that the RO referred to one of the Royal Ordinance Factories.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

5. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

Interesting.....but , I am getting the sense that I have to kit out my jungle carbine now. So many projects, so little time.:roll:

6. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

As you can see from link you provided @kerophile there were a ton of folks who made the oilers. J&RO would be one of them, whoever they are. The RO is part of a company name as the Royal Ordnance Factories were always named as ROF xxx as ROF Fazakerley or ROF Maltby the ones who manufactured Lee-Enfields. The ROF designation was a late 1930s nomenclature so a WWI oiler wouldn't be marked ROF anything. The brass oilers were used well into WWII although gradually replaced by plastic, bakelite and a translucent plastic. @IvanN Your No.5 (jungle carbine was a marketing term made up by a US company in the 60s) came with a cleaning kit in a tin. For the other Lee-Enfields the oiler and a string pullthrough with a brass weight stored in a hollow in the butt stock.

oilers.jpg
    Oilers - The two with knobs went with the Long Lee, middle two the SMLE and the last two WWII for the No.4 and No.5
    Oilers and pullthroughs.jpg This shows the brown plastic and the pullthroughs coiled to fit in the butt stock.
    No5 cleaning kit.jpg
    Ivan - this is the cleaning kit for the No.5

Collecting the oilers can be a hobby in itself, guess how I know.

j

7. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Magnificent minutia!

8. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Well I knew there were multiple manufacturers for these, but following @kerophile 's link (thanks George!) I was amazed to see how many! Had a look in the attic, found nothing so maybe I sold them or they're hiding somewhere for me....

9. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

Thanks for the info!