2011 North East U.S.A. Stove Meet

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by ulysses, Feb 18, 2011.

1. ulysses

ulysses Subscriber

The 2011 North East (North America) Stove Meet will be held on the weekend of July 16th and 17th at Winhall Brook Campground in south - central Vermont. The campground is located off Rt. 100 in the town of South Londonderry, and is approximately 30 miles NW of Brattleboro, and 15 miles SE of Manchester.

Winhall Brook Campground, confluence of Winhall Brook and the West River.
    1297994781-DSCF4158_opt.jpg

The campground is run by the Army Corp of Engineers, and is one of the nicest I've ever stayed in. We will be on the north side of Winhall Brook, centered on sites N18 and N25. The campground may fill up on summer weekends, so don't wait too long to reserve, if you're thinking about coming. There is still a good selection available now. Sites are $18 / night and the leanto's are a little more ($22, I think).

Sites N18 and N25, left foreground.
    1297995282-DSCF4254_opt.jpg

We moved the meet a little further north this year to accommodate folks from New England, Upstate New York and Eastern Canada, but Iain still has a long ride... There 8 - 10 of us signed up now. Come on out to the NE Stove Meet!

Swimming in the West River
    1297996193-DSCF4182_opt.jpg

I've had some great times at Winhall Brook, and can recommend camp sites, where to buy supplies, fishing licences, etc., and fun things to do in the area. PM me with any questions.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Canadian Iain

Canadian Iain Subscriber

I'm looking forward to it and we have one of our English members attending this year. I'll let him make the annoucement.

Iain

3. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Hello All !!!

I just brewed a 5 gallon batch of German Alt to be enjoyed at the meet. As I write this the air lock is bubbling away happily and converting all those sugars into alcohol and flavors. As of right now I cannot decide if I am going to keg it and bring my CO2 tank and tap setup or just bottle and bring the two cases. Either way it will be there for any and all to enjoy.

Can't wait until the meet.

Chuck

4. ulysses

ulysses Subscriber

Good Morning Campers!

No, it's not Uncle Ernie.... Just a "heads up" for the 2011 North East (US and Eastern Canada) Stove Meet, to be held at Winhall Brook Campground in South Londonderry, Vermont on the weekend of July 15th and 16th, eight weeks from today.

I just checked the reservation status and there are five sites (one a leanto) still available on the north loop where we'll be located. They are going fast, so don't wait too long if you're thinking of coming. I recommend going through www.reservation.gov, they didn't charge a "convenience" fee for on-line reservations. Camp sites are $18, leantos (sites with an "L" prefix) are $22.

Paul

5. ulysses

ulysses Subscriber

Friends:

We're about two weeks out from the 5th Annual North East (US & Canada) Stove Meet. If you've been thinking about it but not pulled the trigger yet, there are a few tent spots left on sites already reserved by CCS members, and you're welcome to join us.

The Stove Meet is on the weekend of July 16th and 17th at Winhall Brook Campground in Southern Vermont. See above for more information, or Google the campgrounds.

We always have a great time and eat very well, thanks to the excellent cooks in the group. Come on out and meet some of the characters you've seen on CCS, even if you can just come as a day tripper. Some of us will be arriving on Thursday afternoon, if you want to make a long weekend out of it. Hope to see you there.

1309370846-Doug__s_Beauties.JPG

Paul

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Ulysses, and All,

I am very excited about your upcoming North East Stove Gathering, and look forward to hearing all about it after the event, and to seeing any and all photos that you all wish to share!! MAN, I wish that Sweet Bride and I could join you!!! Just a tad too far, right now. But, someday, we do hope to be able to make the very long trip, from one corner of the US, to the other, to attend your wonderful event, and meet up with all our CCS Friends from up that way!!! We both look forward to that happening! I know that you all will have a fine time, and look forward to hearing who your Mystery Brit Guest is going to be!!! Very cool, no matter which of our Brit Friends it turns out to be!! 8) :thumbup: :D :D :clap: :clap: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Is Exceter_Yak (Doug) going to join you guys this year? I hope so. Haven't heard from him in a good bit, and I'm sure he's been up to his eyeballs in work. So, a Stove Gathering is just what he needs to get his juices bubbling again! Also, I'll sure miss being able to sample Brother Chucks's fine German Ale!! Sounds delicious!!! Well done, Chuck!!

7. Canadian Iain

Canadian Iain Subscriber

For the gang at the North East USA meet. Quote "Lucy, I'm Home!"

Iain

P.S. Pictures to follow!

8. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Looking forward to the photo's!

Regards,

Wim

9. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Hello All !! Great time at the meet. We had some Coleman Collectors join us and had a real good time. As always no complaints ! Paul (Ulysses) was instrumental in me getting to and from the meet this year. I had an ACL reconstruction 5 weeks ago and some other knee work done. So I send a big THANK-YOU for his effort. Paul lives about an hour away from me and made sure I had an easy go of attending by picking me up, giving me space in his car and a spot in his tent. Also being a former Vermont resident I got a little local culture and some back road views which made the ride enjoyable.

Also to my other stove friends thanks for your concern and help during the meet making sure I stayed in good health. You are an amazing group and I find each meet to be more and more enjoyable.

Just press 'The Pause Button' and we pick up where we left off the year before.

I took three quick pictures on early Friday morning. Nothing real spectacular but, it is all I have. Looking forward to more pictures of the meet.

Here is the quick kitchen we setup for breakfast
    1311109969-kitchen.jpg
    Kitchen area and stove disply
    1311109982-kitchen2.jpg

Second table with more stoves
    1311109992-table1.jpg

10. TrainManny

Hi Folks,

The dust has finally settled from the weekends fun, and I have a bit of time to post a few photos of the meet.

Special thanks to Ulysses for all spearheading this years Northeast US Stove Meet. It occurred to me that Vermont is the 4th State we have visited in the 5 years of our gathering. I'm pushing for New York next year.

Like Chuck said, it was as if we pushed the pause button and picked up where we left off. As usual, Doug and Mar let us use their huge canopy for the center of activities.

1311169020-Our-Camp.jpg

Fettling Frenzy! Lots of work got done on stoves and lanterns. With Doug's help I brought a RM back to it's former glory. (Thanks Iain) Chuck and I spent a lot of fun hours trying to turn a Globetrotter burner into a a silent burner for a Svea 123. :lol: No love on that project, but it sure was fun trying! :-({|= Does anyone have a Globetrotter they want to part with?

1311169148-Fettling-Frenzy.jpg

Doug and Peter working on a Kero Lantern. Peter is an advid Coleman collector and fit right in with the group. He also introduced me to Root Beer Vodka. :shock:

1311169453-Doug-_-Peter-work-on-a-Lant.jpg

One of Peter's awesome restoration jobs!

1311169692-Peter__s-Restoration.jpg

Chuck showing Harold a Turm-Sport. We'll turn these lantern guy's into Stovies yet! :D/

1311169541-Chuck-and-Harold-with-Turm.jpg

11. TrainManny

Paul lighting a lantern as the sun sets over the Vermont Hills.

1311169974-Paul-lights-the-first-lante.jpg

Peter and Paul relaxing after dinner.

1311170018-Paul-and-Peter.jpg

A rail trail ran right through our campsite. Naturally "TrainManny" had to go on an exploration. A 2.7 mile walk leads you to the nearest town of South Londonderry.

1311170215-South-Londonderrry.jpg

The beautifully restored station at South Londonderry.

1311170302-Restored-Station.jpg

West River as the sun came up.

1311170887-River.jpg

12. TrainManny

Chuck and Mark relaxing. Bravo to Chuck who worked as chief chef even with his bionic knee! :clap:

1311170994-Chuck-and-Mark.jpg

As usual the time went too quickly and I didn't get many photos. Thanks to everyone who made the 5th annual meet a great success. Stoves, good friends and Vermont in the summer, what else could you want. Lets do the Fall meet we discussed. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers,

Manny

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, Manny, Chuck, Iain, Paul, Doug, and All,

WOW!! What a wonderful success, and what enjoyable photos!!! I WISH Sweet Bride and I could have been there with you to share in all that fun and friendship!! I look forward to seeing more photos, there are more photos to be had, and to hearing more about foods, drink, various stoves and lanterns in evidence, and any other neat information that you guys wish to share. You were all in our prayers during your meet, and we are glad that it appears everyone made it home safe and sound. Iain, you cracked up both Sweet Bride and me, with you, "Lucy, I'm home!" comment!! DANG, that was funny!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :D

Did Doug bring his drop forge this year? Besides his being busier than a one-armed paper hanger, how is he doing? I am very glad to see that you was, once again, a big part of the North East Stove Gathering, as were you all!!

Did Chuck bring any of his hand-crafted brew to share? If so, how was it?? As usual, with you stellar bunch up that way, it appears NESG #5 was a total success, and both SB and I send our hearty congratulations, Gentleman and Ladies!!! Well done, and here's to the next time you can all get together to share such fun again!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: 8) :thumbup: :D :D Thanks for your reports, and photos, Chuck and Manny, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc and Sweet Bride

14. ulysses

ulysses Subscriber

Doc, Friends:

Yes, Chuck brought two cases of a very tasty German style "Alt Bier"; it was very good. We had great weather in a beautiful campground run by the Army Corps of Engineers. Doug didn't bring his drop forge this year because of space limitations, but he brough just about everything else. Peter Ecklund, a new friend I met on CPL, lives in nearby New Hampshire, and brought a portable shop, including a generator, air compressor and even a lathe. We didn't get to using the lathe, but we did use everything else.

You can't keep a good man down, and Chuck with his bionic leg, again cooked up a storm even though he couldn't bring his whole field kitchen and pavilion (we came in my sedan, and there just wasn't enough room).

We had a total of about a dozen folks, which included Peter and two of his friends from the Int. Coleman Collectors Club, as well as the usual suspects. Iain brought a bike and a very nice solo canoe and found places to use both.

I've tried to insert some photos, but the image optimiser seems to be down tonight. If other attendees can post some more photos, please do so.
    One of the new fellows, Harold Porter, brought an early Clayton and Lambert two burner stove, with the six arm burners, and there were lots of interesting stoves and lanterns. I'm sure Mike / Flivver and others would like to see a picture.

There was some discussion of a fall meet in Sturbridge, Mass., and considerable interest.

Paul