Alcohol Jets and Restrictors

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by SimonFoxxx, Dec 15, 2013.

1. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

Hiya there stove people!

I recently bought a set of two alcohol jets with in-built restrictor to run on my Optimus 199 multi-fuel stove. The first time I ran it, it burned with a good, hot flame just like it does with kerosene and white petrol (Fuelite, or Shellite here in New Zealand). It sure used up the methylated spirit fuel quickly. The second time I ran it, there was a serious under burn problem, and the top burner cap ended up glowing red hot, so I shut it down. Third time, same thing. I cleaned the top burner cap, and inner cap as much as I could, following the advice of Bernie Dawg that he provides with his silent burner caps. Any advice on how to prevent the under burn, and restore the powerful flame I got first time?

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

HI, Simon,

Those Meths jets with the "built-in" restrictors, are, well, shall we say, "less then amazing". I have tried them, and they simply don't work for me. Get the real restrictor for your 199, or make one for yourself. Do a little bit of research here, and you will find a report I wrote, quite a few years ago, about this very topic. I gave all the useful measurements, and you should be able to cobble one up for yourself which will stabilize your flame, and give you back your power. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

Hiya there DoC,

I have tried the regular restrictor supplied with the stove, and the regular jet (p/n 2509). The flame and general performance is rubbish, i.e. low power, and flame lift-off at higher settings. For those reasons I thought I would try this new jet/restrictor, at quite a small cost. I much prefer white petrol or kerosene as a fuel anyhow.

Thanks for taking to time to reply. Cheers for the holiday season, and I hope Santa Claus brings you a new stove!

4. Doc Mark

HI, Simon,

Ahhhh, but you didn't seek out and read my article on restrictors, did you?!! ;) :D :D I had that same exact trouble, but fixed it!! If you read what I wrote, you, too, will fix your flame lift-off problem. Now, my Meths 199 has a strong, stable, and blue flame. Yours can, too. You just need to dig a little bit, and read what I wrote. CCS is supposed to be a research site, where interested Stovies can find and learn the answers to most all their questions. The answer is there, Simon, and I'd be gratified if you found and used it. ;) 8) :thumbup: :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. four holes on each end...... you'll figure it out after you read my article!! ;) ;) :D :D

5. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

I found DoC Mark's post from 2005 entitled, "Three Types of Meths Restrictors". Basically, the restrictor with 4 holes and the alcohol jet (p/n 2508) worked best. Thanks DoC Mark :content:

6. Doc Mark

Hey, Simon,

Outstanding!! Thank you for taking the time to find that post! I still use that same "type C" restrictor in my 199, and it still works very well.

As to those jets with the built-in restrictor, I don't think they work very well, and I've tried them with quite a few different Meths stoves. Haven't found even one stove that seems to like those. Seems like an idea that just didn't work out as well as the makers planned....

Thanks for letting me know that you found the Meths post, and see of one of that type of restrictor will work for you, too. Well done, Simon! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc