27-3, vintage last Tuesday

Discussion in 'Trangia' started by Marc, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Christmas gift from my girlfriend. Took a break from remodeling the bathroom to give it a test drive and brew myself some tea. I think we can all agree that a Trangia, even one made last week and delivered by that river in South America, is indeed a classic.

Fueled with:
    20181223_150824.jpg

Upon first ignition:
    20181223_150232.jpg

Pan immediately in place, both to reflect heat back to the burner and to start heating water immediately. I would be waiting on me XGK to prime at this point:
    20181223_150308.jpg

Boil achieved. I didn't keep track of how long it took, but it wasn't out of line at all and I didn't even use the frying pan as a lid. I love how quiet the stove is:
    20181223_151128.jpg

Burner at WOT after removing pan:
    20181223_151200.jpg

Nothing left on the pan after boiling:

20181223_151244.jpg

Very pleased, I think this is going to be come a new favorite. No fuss, no bother, just quiet easy competence. Now I need to take it out in the field and give it a real test.

Off to source more alcohol and maybe a Trangia fuel bottle.

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Nice. The amount to preheat the xgk can make a meal with a trangia. (Well almost)

3. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Thank you sir. I've heard Doc say that before. (Edit: Oops, I've READ Doc post that before.)

It was also right after I'd gotten back from an away mission during which priming the XGK was particularly troublesome, due to the wind attempting to blow away my wind shield. I knew a Trangia was in my future, then.

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I do prefer Trangia now. I use it more on road trips than any other stove I bring.
    I just got a Solo Windscreen. Looks really well made. Low price right now.
    Much better than the Coghlans. The rods fall our all the time.

5. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Thank you for the suggestion, that's exactly my issue with the cheap Chinese windscreen I have now.

6. afoton

I usualy set the pot on the stove when priming.

7. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Methinks the green can of Klean Strip is the better stove fuel.
    But all this year I have been using Everclear, which also works wonderfully

8. Marc

Marc Subscriber

@afoton Great tip, I did start doing that.

@Majicwrench I agree, that's just what I had on hand. I'll be switching to bio-ethanol or similar. When I was just using a wee bit here and there for priming, I didn't concern myself much with potential toxicity, only cost.

In a strange reversal from how things usually are, now that I'll be using a lot more alcohol fuel, cost has become less of a concern. Low toxicity is more important. How much does the everclear cost? I'm not a drinker and have been in a liquor store twice in my entire life.

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, @Marc ,

Hearty congratulations on your new Trangia!! Glad you like it, as so many others of us do! As to cooking meals on it, yes, the X-GK can be better in some ways, and worse in others. But, used with a good simmering slider, the Trangia can actually cook good meals, quite well. I don’t know if you read my post on using a “White Box” alcohol stove to get a quick boil, then switching to the Trangia burner, with it’s “stopped down” simmering ring for simmering your meal! You can get an hour, or maybe a bit more of simmering time, doing things that way. And, the “WB” stove weighs next to nothing, so you’re not increasing your weight by more than a tiny fraction. Once you get used to this setup, it’s super easy, and very, very effective in cooking actual meals. I can find my post, and link it here, with photos, after Christmas, if you haven’t already seen it.

Again, congrats on your Trangia, and it’s neat to read that you like it so very much, as to so may others of us, here at CCS!! Take care, Merry Christmas, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I would like to clarify.
    I do not mean anything negative to the X-GK. I hope it did not get offended.

I only mention this as a humorous irony. The amount of alcohol to prime a good stove could cook a meal on an alcohol stove. :D/

11. idahostoveguy

Yeah, well, now, all my X-GKs are all insulted and retreated to their comfort closets because of those insults. :lol::lol::lol: I guess I'll have to get them out and fire them up to get them out of their depression or whatever it is. :p

sam

12. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Thanks @Doc Mark ! Really appreciate your advice. I had not seen your post on using a "white box" alcohol stove(I assume that's just generic Chinese alky burner?) to bring to temp and the actual Trangia burner for more measured cooking, I'll definitely look for it.

ALL of my other stoves are insulted. They are all more complicated, more wind prone, and louder, than the Trangia. They all had to watch from their perch on their shelves as I fired up and brewed with this Tran-something newcomer who isn't even pressurized. The nerve! They may even speak to me again some day.

Oh, the brew-up above was also the first one at the new fettling bench. I like it quite a lot.

Now with lunch concluded, back to remodeling I go.

13. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Well, if it got you out, and back here, the joke was worth it.

Hi Sam.

Ken

14. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

@Marc , Everclear is $20 a bottle here (MT). More expensive than other options, but it is a good fuel and safe. I usually add a carefully measured drip or two of water to the burner, it seem to keep the burner from sort of over-burning.
    Just bought a new bottle yesterday!

All my GPA's are insulted by my alcohol stoves, which have seen a lot of good trips this year.

Oh, and @Doc Mark , I bought me some sort of cheapy pop can stove for $5 shipped (how can they do this?) and plan to use it as you mention above, will let you know how it works for me.

15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, @Marc , and @Majicwrench ,

Here is the thread I posted about the duo Meths stove setup, using what was sold as a “White Box” stove, made here in the USA.:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/pop-cans-on-ebay.7099/page-2#post-67279

Please give it a squint, and see if it makes sense to you. I still use that setup, when using a Trangia for real cooking, instead of just boiling water. It works for us, and may well work for you, too. Let me know what you think, if you give it a try. Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

16. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Thanks Doc!

17. GeneH

GeneH Subscriber

18. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Wow, that's quite an experience. Don't loosen the slider on the simmer ring, set the slider where you want it and then use the pliers to put the simmer ring in place. I've had my Trangia for a week and figured that out? I didn't watch any further.

19. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I do not need to adjust my stove so often that I need to spin the simmer ring.

I do see where one could be impatient if they want to adjust it so much.
    I lift the pot off, take off the windscreen, adjust the ring, which may include removing it to adjust, then replacing.
    'Like I said, I adjust so rarely, I do not worry about it.

I love Trangia. I have so many of them.

20. Marc

Marc Subscriber