3-stoves curry and a Pri 96 for tea

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by presscall, Sep 9, 2009.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Curry night! Thought I'd share something of the experience with CCS, so here goes ...

First the stoves are selected. Primus 735 fries the dry ingredients, Opti-twelve (British Military Stove No. 12 with Optimus 111 paraffin/kero burner grafted on) boils the dry ingredients with tomato puree and stock added. Then, Phoebus kero-burner boils/steams the rice and Primus 96 fires the kettle for tea.

1252529188-Three_stoves_for_curry___Pri_96_for_tea_opt.jpg

Ok, now for the food prep. Here are the ingredients for a veggie curry - butternut squash, chopped plum tomatoes with tomato puree mixed in for extra kick, onions, green pepper (capsicum), garlic, ground cumin, ground turmeric, coriander and cardamom pods, a home-grown red chilli (a scorcher) - oh, and priming fluid for the cook. Not shown, vegetable stock.

1252529298-Ingredients_and_priming_fluid_for_cook__opt.jpg

Key ingredient, the butternut squash in preparation.

1252527260-Butternut_squash_opt.jpg

Priming the Primus rocket stove

1252527411-Priming_Primus_rocket_opt.jpg

Priming the Opti-twelve

1252527473-Priming_Opti-twelve_opt.jpg

Priming the cook

1252527591-Priming_the_cook_opt.jpg

Going like a ... rocket

1252527683-Going_like_a_..._rocket_opt.jpg

Hot, hot, oil

1252527776-Hot__hot_oil__opt.jpg

Veggies frying on rocket stove (Stove 1)

1252527869-Veggies_frying_on_rocket_stove__Stove_1__opt.jpg

Veggies browning, nearly time for Stove 2

1252527898-Veggies_browning__nearly_time_for_Stove_2_opt.jpg

Curry in the making, fried veggies and spices boiling in stock and tomato mash on Opti-twelve stove (Stove 2)

1252528124-Curry__fried_ingredients_in_stock_and_tomato_puree__on_Opti-twelve__Stove_2__opt.jpg

Curry still simmering, rice now on Phoebus (Stove 3)

1252528284-Curry_still_simmering__rice_now_on_Phoebus__Stove_3__opt.jpg

Curry 'n steam

1252528419-Curry___n_steam_opt.jpg

Rice 'n steam

1252528503-Rice___n_steam_on_Phoebus_opt.jpg

Done!

1252528582-Done__opt.jpg

Hot, hot, curry!

1252529068-Hot__hot_curry__opt.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. mbechtel

That looks great! I know meths was used to prime the stoves, but what about the cook?

3. itchy

I am suddenly very hungry.

4. presscall

Bateman's 'Summer Swallow' ale - brewed by a Lincolnshire, England, brewery. Too many stoves? Reminds me of the accusation in the film Amadeus that Mozart used too many notes. I know, you're joking!

Method in the madness was that Stove 1 zaps the veggies (or meat, or fish, or poultry on another occasion - see my recent post 'Good wok burner stoves'), while Stove 2 is controllable to reduce heat to a simmer if needed. Ditto Stove 3 for the rice. In cooking the rice (well washed first to reduce the starch content), it's best to cover it with a little water that is then wholly absorbed, so the rice retains flavour and texture (i.e. doesn't get soggy).

Regards,

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

Great stuff John, I take my hat off to anyone who can cook using 3 stoves and take pictures of what they are doing as well !

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Wonderful set of photos and commentary.
    Exactly what we like to see on CCS.
    I will have to give your meal a try - but can I use less stoves? :shock: :shock:

7. BernieDawg Banned

:clap: :clap: :clap:
    Great post, John!! Thanks!

In honor of your superlative posting, I popped a Believer Double Red Ale from Ninkasi Brewing Company in Eugene, Oregon. Yum. :lol:

Cheers,
    Gary

8. sefaudi

Hey John,

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing your great cooking adventure with 3 stoves.

However there is inequality. You are primin the stoves by drops whilst yourself by galloons... [-(

9. presscall

You're right Sefa! An ascending order of thirst - Primus 96 - Phoebus 625 - Opti-12 - Primus 735 - me! Thanks for your response (and those of the other guys too).

Regards,

John

10. spudz

I'm still waiting for a cuppa ... was looking forward to seeing the #96 on brew up duties.

Great post though, well done.

If I may ask, can your Opti-12/111 hybrid beastie stove be primed by pouring the meths down the hole in the burner head?

John (yet another one :lol: :lol: :lol: )

11. presscall

Hi John. Yes, it could be, but it was retrieved from a scrap 111 (irretrievable scrap, the tank was dented to blazes, the case had rotted through, the NRV was mangled in the bore) and I gave it an oversized priming cup consisting of a cut down tank-end, which had a screw thread that just neatly fitted the threaded spigot on the base of the burner. Purpose was to enable me to dump meths primer down the outside of the burner's windshield, from a bottle if need be and not a dispenser like I'm using in the photo. Also, the capacity would offer assured (if fuel heavy) priming in the gales I envisaged using the stove in at times.

To all stovies reading this, I really, truly did consign the 111 to its reincarnation reluctantly and after all other attempts to retrieve it proved fruitless. The Military No. 12 came to me without a burner, so it was a matter of reviving one stove at the expense of a limited pile of spares.

Regards,

John

12. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Nothing lasts forever !

13. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

I think the priming of the cook is of prime importance.

Looks great! I LOVE curry and it's not really as common here. Easier to find Mexician cuisine of one kind or another. Have made my own curry from scratch and used some import product/mix. Home-made is always better!

14. linux_author

great stuff! love to see this here!

i had to settle for bacon-and-cheese stuffed, baked pablano chiles with two pints of PBR :(

OTOH, i did use my 123R in the park this a.m. before a bike ride for a quick noodle soup and miso...

(a tad sore after the 20-miler; i'm an old man)

15. hydro451

John,

Sorry late to this post - but man that's what I like to see - the stoves actually being used :clap: :clap: - who cares if you use different stoves for differnt tasks - any reason to use as many as you heart deisres is a great reason :) and besides they do have different performance characteristics and are aptly applied in your photos - BTW the Phoebus has tremnedous simmer abilities as well as power to spare on high - love mine one and only 625

Thanks for sharing these nice shots :) :)

Tom

16. presscall

Thanks Tom. Always great to get feedback like that - much appreciated. You're absolutely right about stoves to GO! Though I recognise and respect the stovie who collects and preens his/her collection (I do too when they're not in use!) I know most of us delight in putting them to work cooking and as you say, they all seem to have their own characteristics. Yes indeed, the Phoebus is a great stove. I use mine as a kero burner and it's a favourite for sure. Regards, John

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Tom,

I must have missed your neat post, first time around! VERY nice, stuff, Sir!! I, too, am a fan of the Phoebus 625, and think it's a wonderful stove.

I'm curious about the stand under which your huge Primus sets. Did you cobble that together, or did it come with your stove? I have two of the "rocket stoves", a Primus 744, and a recently arrived Optimus 510 (Thanks, DSK!). I need to fabricate a stand for each of them, just for grins. I'd contemplated using angle stock and bolting the stands together. But, your stand looks simple, rugged, and might be a better solution to my needs. Thanks for any info you can share about it.

Thanks, also, for sharing your great meal, and the preparation, with us! Nothing better than a well-primed stove, or three, and also an even more well-primed cook!! ;) 8) :lol: :lol: :D/

18. presscall

Hi Doc. Very kind of you to post your comments. No sycophancy intended, but I've admired your contributions to CCS since I first browsed as a non-member! Inspirational stuff, it would be accurate to say.

Well, about the pot stand for the Primus rocket stove. I was out jogging in my neighbourhood, which is rural, not far from the location here ...

https://classiccampstoves.com/posts/116404

... and came across a metal ring on the track, the one acting as the base of the pot stand in fact. Beats me where it came from, could have fallen off the undercart of a UFO for all I know. I figured I'd take it home and remove a piece of litter from the beauty spot in the process and intuition told me I'd find a use for it someday. Jogging with the ring like some olympic discus thrower on the approach run, I made my way home (rather self-consciously I have to admit).

Months later the Primus rocket was in my possession and of course I was on the prowl, as you, for a pot stand. A few lengths of copper plumbing pipe (15mm we call it in metricised Britain now, a half-inch I guess it used to be called), some small bolts and there it was on my bench, assembled. The top ring is more copper pipe, crudely hammered flat and formed into a ring. Finished height was arrived at by educated guesswork, knowing I'd mostly be using my wok on it, with a dished base of course ... (in use by my Chinese-heritage buddy Henry in a pic in this post)

https://classiccampstoves.com/posts/115500

I've a refinement of the pot stand to fabricate yet and thats a truncated cone of metal sheet, with an insulated handle of some sort, to slip over the stand and stove during priming, acting as a windshield. Work and other stuff put it down the list of 'things to do' I'm afraid.

Thanks again, Doc, not least for your enjoyable and hugely informative posts.

I work for the Fire and Rescue Service and it pained me on every level to read your post about the fires over there endangering people and property. I read another CCS member's posts about how his Mum's property had a very close call. Are you and yours in the clear now? Got concerned you know.

Best wishes,

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  19. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hello, John,

First and foremost, I am sorry to have confused names in my last post! I was commenting on Tom's mention that he liked the 625, and got carried away! :oops: :oops: The old mind ain't what it used to be.... and in truth, it wasn't much to begin with! :roll: ;) :lol: :lol:

Many, thanks for your very kind words, John! Much appreciated. In my years here at CCS, I've learned a ton of great information, and helpful tips, because most Stovies are a very sharing lot. I've tried to share in kind, and appreciate that some of what I've posted has been interesting or helpful. This site is really special, me thinks, and few others can match it's spirit of helpful friendship, that's for sure!

Also, sincere thanks for your comments and concerns on our fire situation. Living in the mountains, we've come to "sort of" accept that this is just the way it is. I can totally accept that nature has it's own way of starting fires in the forests, and think that this is normal and, well, "natural". What I CANNOT accept, is that demented and damaged humans start fires in the forest, too!! I cannot, and will never, believe that this should be acceptable behavior! Many good people have died because of these miscreants, and thousands of acres, and tons of homes, have been lost to their vicious and callous disregard for these losses. So, I get more than a little hot under the collar when arson happens, not nly up here, but anywhere. Thanks, very much, for your concern, and given that you have "been there, done that, and own the T-shirt" in dealing with fires and folks in need, I offer my very deep thanks for your efforts! May God always protect our Firemen, our Law Enforcement, and Medical Folks, whilst engaged in keeping the rest of us safe and sound. (And, may arsonists receive exactly what they deserve, in the end....)

Thanks, again, John, and please keep the great posts coming. Good stuff, all around! I'll most certainly try to come up with a pot stand for my 510, as you did, and if it works as well as your's does, I'll be well pleased. Thanks, again, for the info. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Forgot to offer an update on the Station fire: As of today, it's 84% contained, and has consumed over 160,000 acres of forest. It is an arson fire, and as we lost two very brave Firefighters in this needless conflagration, it is also a murder case. My hope is that those who caused this misery, be caught and punished to the full extent of the law!!

Our place is safe and sound, for now, and as I understand it, Jim's Mom, and he and his wife, are also safe. The fire moved North, then East, leaving his area without tons of damage. But, as it's moved East, it has also threatened our CA Stove Gathering #2 location, Buckhorn Campground, which was directly in harm's way from this fire! So, I hope to find an alternate, and very safe site, where we can still enjoy our Gathering. I'll post an update when I find out anything of import. Thanks, again, John, for your concern and comments.