Discussion in 'Other Models' started by MrAlexxx, Dec 13, 2019.

1. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

I was told by my hiking/camping female sidekick FireStarter (Linda) to buy myself something useful for Christmas. I don't usually listen to women very well hence my single status but when they're opening their wallet trust me I'm all ears. :)

I had two thoughts...seat covers for my truck or else something more fun. Seat covers are pretty boring and since I could still sit on the seats I went for the more fun. Jumped onto that auction site that we all love and before FireStarter could even say "fire started" I'd spent her money and I was even under budget!

It was a BIN and I figured I'd have to go a long ways to see another one so pounced onto this cast iron 381 Handy Hot Plate. Started to do a bit of research on them and truly they do seem to be kind of hard to run across. I think that this one may be the one that was posted on the CCF by a member many years back in a post started by current member Jan (ScouterJan) titled..."Lets see your HOTPLATES.".....or maybe it is NOT that stove??? Hmmmmm....

lets see your HOTPLATES

Anyways, sounds like the one that was maybe owned by a member with the handle of Erics_reel_shop. He posted his hotplate and mentioned the chrome? or is it maybe nickel? plating and had posted pictures but alas they are long gone and his account there is deleted. For those that don't want to read or scroll through the whole HOTPLATE post I'll copy what Eric had said.

erics_reel_shop
    Dec 15, 2012
    Had to go back to Noah's days just to find the pic!! heres mine it a chromie Coleman handy hot plate
    Eric

erics_reel_shop
    Dec 15, 2012
    No history Roland, but im expecting it may have bein electroplated back in the car bumper days 1960's and 70's as this type of buisness was in its hay day then, but only guessing of course, god only knows what coleman canada done , maybe they cooked their Christmas dinner and wanted a deluxe model.!!! I expect the chrome buttons holding the grates on were a afterthought as well as i have never seen them on anything else. the name Handy Hot Plate in raised letters, Have you seen this before? Eric

erics_reel_shop
    Dec 15, 2012
    Jan, i had it fired up last summer it works great. Roland, the chrome had me thinking makeover when i bought it too as all i could find was painted models like yours and the others on here.
    Not a sign of paint or chrome on the fount anywhere, just the straps were chromed to match the unit. it was properly done as there is copper traces under the chrome . my knowledge is limited on this but i think copper was used as a bonding agent for the chrome. Its probably one of those mysteries that only the Shadow knows!!. Cheers Eric.

Anyways...it was all many years ago but fast forward jump to today and if this was that stove many thanks to Eric for saving it. I also asked the seller about this stove and all he could tell me was that..."This rare cook stove came from the private collection of a local 'Authorized Coleman Seller and Service Technician' in my town."

All kind of interesting but that was that. Regardless here it is and lets hash it out a little more. What I'd like to know from any experts is what do you think? A DELUXE model as Eric surmised? Original plating? I saw on Terry Marsh's site that he says a zinc coating may of been the original finish. Well...other than the top cast plate and burners the plating or whatever it is on the stove lowers does almost look like a zinc coating or at the very least a very bad plating job. Some of the finishes I've seen on some Coleman items could pass for this that's for sure. As a matter of fact even the top plate plating is one sorry job. If I had something plated and it came back like that I wouldn't be very happy. I know cast iron plates horribly so maybe it was what it was or was it something that COLEMAN Canada would of done for some reason? Fuel tank also has remnants of silver paint or possibly zinc coating. The fasteners that are used to hold the cast burner plates down are they possibly original or not? They are heavy duty and solid and really do function well. They seem to be lacking on the few other examples I have seen in photos or is it as Eric stated all those many years ago...

"Its probably one of those mysteries that only the Shadow knows!!."

We should find that Shadow guy!!! :)

It would all be fairly easy to return to original whatever that may be but I'd hate to do the wrong thing. Plus I'm basically really lazy when it comes to cosmetic restoring. I'm all about the fire. :)

So on that note here it is...

Not much to do on reassembly a couple of screws to attach fuel tank to the frame and a screw for each leg. A super packing job by the seller and any dings or dents to the fuel tank were already there so all in all arrived in great shape. All I had to really do was use some graphite ribbon and remake a seal on the tank to generator connection. Swapped out the fuel cap gasket for something to do. Pump worked as well as the two valves. Dunk tested it and good to go.

The startup was kind of interesting but I figured it would be much like lighting up the big 975. Open the air valve all the way light it and give it a minute or so to heat the generator then close the air valve leaving it open maybe a half turn and control the flame with the main generator fuel valve. Right or wrong it seemed to work well.

IT BURNS!!!!

Ohhhhh yeah....Thanks FireStarter it really is a useful present!!! lol :)

Alex

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

@MrAlexxx
    Oh yes, a brilliant choice Alex and a generous gift from FireStarter. Seat covers don’t make the grade in comparison I agree.

John

3. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

WOW HV @MrAlexxx
    1) She’s definately a keeper and
    2) What a nice and classy stove!!
    Never seen one before this one!
    Congrats my friend!