40 years old, brand new and 100 % complete

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by It'l Dodat, Feb 6, 2019.

1. It'l Dodat

I had the pleasure of probibly being the very first person to light this after the pre delivery checks after 40 years. although, i do think that the gas light has been used a few times

All the spares are in the little container, and a 40 year old mystery has been solved... What the spring on the side of the wind shield was for and the clips in the base

stove  gac 2 burner new i.jpg stove gas 2 burner new h.jpg stove gas 2 burner new g.jpg stove gas 2 burner new f.jpg stove gas 2 burner new e.jpg stove gas 2 burner new d.jpg stove gas 2 burner new.jpg stove gase 2 burner new c.jpg stove gas 2 burner new b.jpg stove gas 2 burner new a.jpg stove field petrol t first cookup 1 mug water 5 mi.jpg stove field petrol q first time start roaring.jpg

2. pau-i-amor

pau-i-amor Subscriber

Enhorabuena! Congrats!

3. Andrew

Nice stove. The lamp almost looks as if there is a missing enamel piece on top but I guess it then will not fit in the metal clip very well.
    I wonder if the top was left the way it was to maybe place an enamel mug on it to keep the coffee warm.

4. It'l Dodat

Morning Andrew
    I'll start this somewhwere else, but, bear with me, I'll bring it full circle...

In case you don't know what a firebucket is, its a stainless steel container that goes round the bottomof an army water-bottle. Mostly it's to protect the water-bottle, but it has a clip-over handle and is used for drinking.

That's how the lamp comes, and you are absolutely right, I tmakes a very handy place to put a firebucket.

Now when I was conscripted, back in 1974 1975 during the South African bush war against (predominantly) the Angolans & Cubans), there was always a surplus of tea / coffee / coca that had gone cold...
    Well, that was a huge bonus to me, because I was a radio monitor, and when not out on operations ETC used to do duty in the ops room, and I used to sit for hours with my firebucket on the top of a lamp exactly like that one keeping copious amounts of coffee / tea coca piping hot.....

It's that kind of memories that makes something like this inanamate stove, absolutely come to life...

PICTURE OF A FIREBUCKET

stove field petrol t first cookup 1 mug water 5 mi.jpg

5. Andrew

@It'l Dodat

Yes I was in the second last compulsory intake in 1992.