413 g newbie question

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Mike rascoe, May 21, 2020 at 10:24 AM.

1. Mike rascoe United States

Hello, i have recently acquired a 413g stamped 1974, its in beautiful condition and seems to work great but I had 2 queations.
    Is it normal during warmup for occasional small “poofs” of flame from where the the feed tube meets the manifold? also should the burner stay lit for a while after the fuel knob is turned off? Thanks, mike

2. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

For the first question, be sure the generator is all the way into the manifold. On some Coleman models the carry handle can keep the tank from going as close to the stove as it should. It's not normal, but if it is only during start up I wouldn't worry overly much. You do have the lighting lever in the up position during start up? You may be turning it down too soon. Wait until you have blue flame at the burner with little to no orange/yellow flame.

Second question, yes burner will continue for a bit. The long tube from the tank to the burner is the generator. Its purpose is to convert liquid fuel into a vapor through heat. When the stove is cold there is only liquid fuel in the generator which will burn poorly with lots of yellow flame and soot. The lighting lever allows air from the top of the fuel tank to mix with the liquid fuel to thin the mix and allow a bit cleaner burning. As the generator heats up and starts doing its job the liquid fuel entering from the tank begins to boil off into a vapor. When it exits at the jet end of the generator it mixes with air in the fat curved part of the manifold and will burn properly. When you turn off the fuel valve the generator is still full of fuel vapor and the burner will continue to burn until that vapor is exhausted.

3. Mike rascoe United States

Thank you for The quick response. Yes the lever is up during lighting, I will definitely check the Carry handle and make sure I’m all the way in the manifold and you may be right, I may not be waiting long enough before I turn it down. Thanks again

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

The above information is spot on and well written.
    I also will add that I turn the lever up before turning it off. It adds air to the mix to help clear the long generator.

5. Mike rascoe United States

Ok thank you also

6. Tron

Tron Subscriber

I have never had the flames you are talking about, I don't think that is normal. All Coleman burners stay lit for a while after you shut them down, it is the fuel in the generator tube that burns off. The larger the generator (and the 413G have the largest one of them all i think) the longer it takes.

Tron

Sorry, allready answered, late to the party I guess...

7. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

On the flames at end of generator....make sure the tip is tight on the end.

Do leave lever up for a good 30 seconds or more, and give it a few more pumps, while lever is up you are using tank pressure quickly

And as Ken says, turn lever up for a bit before shutting stove off.

Cook something and post pictures!

8. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Welcome to CCS. The 413 is a great model.

9. Mike rascoe United States

Thanks to everyone on here. I got home from work and fired up the stove, with the Carry handle up, no poof! Lol
    With the Fuel lever in the up position it took about 1 and 1/2 minutes for the stove to completely go out. Perfect. Thanks again and as i am somehow enamored with this 1974 cookstove i believe i will be keeping my eyes open for more.

10. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

I don't understand, stove shut off after 1 and 1/2 minutes??

11. Mike rascoe United States

After closing gas valve.

12. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Certainly shouldn't run long after valve shut off.