425/ small flame from generator tube tip

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by camshaft, Mar 25, 2020.

1. camshaft

Purchased a old 425 or similar Canadian model and replaced a couple old items. Including the generator tube.
    Have only used the stove a couple times and this annoying flame coming out of the generator tip. I initially was thinking it was a fitment issue of the tip. But no matter how far pushed in the flame comes back.

Did some searching on the site and found this old thread and photo. Which is exactly my issue.
    Photo from thread.

The annoying thing is the flame is (oxidizer) ? and just creates awful black soot on the pots and pans.
    I will try and loosen and tighten the tip to see if that resolves my issue.

Wanted to thank the site and forum for posting this info.

Side note does anyone use methyl hydrate to preheat the coleman ? I have always used it to preheat my camping MSR stoves. As I can't stand the black soot

thanks
    Camshaft

[​IMG]

2. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

I found on my 425E, is that if you raise the carry handle before inserting the fuel tank, it will stop doing that. I found that info on this site, and it worked for me.

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Coleman made their name for their ‘Quick light’ system to deliver atomised fuel to the generator during the 1-minute start-up. Soot-free if the system based on the fuel/air stem and valve is working properly.

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Looks to be inserted far enough. Can try removing the genny tip, wire brushing the threads on both surfaces, then add some graphite thread compound or copper thread anti-sieze to the threads to seal them.
    Duane

5. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Yup, or just snug tip down, common problem.

You shouldn't need to preheat, are you starting stove with lever up and leaving it there for a good 30 seconds?

6. camshaft

Well I found my issue, this is an brand new generator tube from Coleman.
    The end brass cap is been completely destroyed.
    I can’t believe how destroyed this cap was on this brand new tube.
    You can clearly see how out of round it is. And that it has been like that for some time.

Attached Files:

7. camshaft

Found the old one.
    And the new one the brass wasn’t fully installed possibly because they destroyed it.
    As I had to warm it up to get it off.
    but you can see the old one the brass is screwed on that no threads present.

Attached Files: