426B(ehemoth)

Discussion in 'Coleman No:426' started by dwarfnebula, Nov 10, 2019.

1. dwarfnebula

dwarfnebula United States Subscriber

I have avoided buying one of these 426’s because they’re so stinking big but I couldn’t leave this one behind. It’s not in especially good shape but not bad either-perfect for a camping beater.
    1DDB6CFD-55E3-4E53-AB3C-8AE0B33AEE58.jpeg
    this particular example has an unusual feature of 3 position adjustable legs, which may be helpful to level the stove. According to my book, this dates the stove to 1959 or 1960.
    0E409C64-1FD2-495E-A676-5DDEA320098E.jpeg
    In typical fashion for a Coleman, this required naught but a fill cap gasket and some oil for the pump leather and it fired right up. This thing really pumps out some BTU’s!
    117A5FAD-DD74-4E1E-B62B-E0FDD238F2FC.jpeg
    The only fault of consequence to this stove is that the carry handle is missing. OCP only has the wire ones, this requires the stamped aluminum type. Hopefully I’ll turn one up sometime, until then I’ll just transport it on my refrigerator dolly!

Attached Files:

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Grew up with one in a 6-kid family.

3. Duck

Duck United States Subscriber

I have the older version with the bronze color tank. I’m hoping to find an 426nl then no more Coleman suitcase stoves.(til I see one too good to pass up)

edit: I may have a handle hanging around from a donor stove. Next time I clean my garage work bench if I come across it I’ll let you know.

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@dwarfnebula ,

From what I've read, the 426B had a copper colored tank from 1954-1958, and a red colored tank from 1959-1961. Also, the three slots of leg adjustment were only used from 1950-1960. So, I'd guess your stove dates to those years. Congrats, and enjoy your beast of a Coleman 426!! You can do LOTS of cooking on those 3-burner stoves!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. Ed Winskill

Many good memories of the Coleman 3-burner here. One of my 4 brothers still has the family 426.

Our vacations in the late 1950s-early '60s were at local State parks. Our dad was a dentist. Nowadays, folks assume that dentists make a lot of money, but in those days, even professional men made a modest income. A teacher, say, made $3,500 a year; a doctor, lawyer, or dentist made, maybe, 7 or 8 grand. So, such a guy, like our dad, never took vacations, baked bread every Sunday for 6 kids for the coming week, and on vacations, commuted every evening up to the campsite at Saltwater State Park, for dinner, family, sleep in the tent, back to the office in the a.m. So went the vacation week or two weeks.

Mom cooked on the 3-burner Coleman. My love of the classic camp stoves dates from those days. One year, the 'next door' campers were a family from New Jersey. The dad had just gotten a job with Boeing as an engineer. They camped as they looked for a house. The folks became friends with them. Played bridge into the night by the Coleman lantern light. We played with their kids.

We remained friends with them for decades, until the deaths of all of their generation. The wife of the other couple was the last to die, at an advanced age, three years ago; a friend our ours to the end, who cherished the friendship and memory of our parents.

In short and in summary, a classic camp stove story.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Ed,

I love your story. It describes the America in which I grew up! Very touching story! Thank you for sharing it with us! May God Bless us all with experiences like that, again! God Bless

Mark

7. itchy

@dwarfnebula
    Only one 3-burner Coleman in my collection and don't use it much. But, it is definitely not overkill when you are cooking up a hearty breakfast of bacon, eggs, pancakes and coffee for a group.

@Ed Winskill
    Also enjoyed you classic remembrance. It is amazing how happy we all were with so much less back then. Remember when there was one family car per family?

8. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Nice stove,,, The original handle is missing in mine as well, and it has a replacement fashioned of wire,,, I rather prefer this wire replacement.

Seems like these stoves frequently come with a family story. I bought mine from a fella in his 40’s who said it was his Dad’s. They carried it on most every family outing from before he could remember, and he thought it had been his Grandfather’s stove...

6CFFD899-7F22-46FB-B83C-051F6820D921.jpeg

9. itchy

note: Wish there was a bit more time to edit; especially, when I am still on my first cup of coffee.

10. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

@dwarfnebula I have a handle for you. PM sent

And you can flip those grate and move the warped parts to the outside.

11. Ed Winskill

We were a two-car family at the time-- my mom drove a 1950 Chevy, the car I learned to drive with, and my dad mostly drove the 1956 Mercury station wagon, a faux woody. Both bought used.

In 1965, when I was a junior in high school (age 16-17), my folks bought a new Ford Galaxie LTD. Their very first new car, after 20 years of marriage.

12. John Leah

I've got a 426E - what's the difference between the 'E' and 'B' please?

I love my stove and use it whenever camping in the car. Only trouble is, when camping with friends, they all know the stove is so capable I end up doing the cooking for all of us as their tiny single-burner gas stoves aren't up to much. I think they also like to witness the drama of firing up a big petrol stove :-) I use Aspen 4 in all my petrol stoves which, in the UK, is around three times the price of our (already expensive) unleaded but as least I know it's not the fumes that will get me.

Here's my big one with a small one and even smaller one for comparison:

IMG_0666.jpg

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

HI, John, @John Leah ,

Nice stoves! Thanks for sharing! As for the differences between Your E and a B, I recommend that you use the Gallery to your advantage. As you are in the "Coleman" area, just scroll down to "426", and you will be able to see all versions of that stove, from the 426, to the A, B, C, etc.. This is a one OUTSTANDING resource here at CCS!! Have fun, and enjoy the learning!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

14. John Leah

Thanks Doc.

It's so long since I was on the forum that I'd forgotten how useful and informative everything (and everyone) is :lol:

Edit: I've been perusing the 426 section and am mildly embarrassed that I posted in it when I bought my stove - it was waaay back in 2012 so perhaps understandable that I'd forgotten. Oops :oops:

Cheers,
    John

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  15. Simes

Simes Subscriber

It clearly has a few tales to tell from the interveining years then @John Leah

16. dwarfnebula

dwarfnebula United States Subscriber

I reckon your 426E is late 1970’s or newer, the date is probably stamped on the hooks of the tank that hold it to the case. Mine predates Coleman stamping the date on suitcase stoves.

Whatever they lack in style, these stoves certainly make up for in utility and reliability. It’s no surprise the basic format did not change for so many decades.

17. Duck

Duck United States Subscriber

426b has towel rack, hinges that allow lid to fold back allowing it to be used as work space when not windy, equal size grates that can easily be flipped, and adjustable legs.