702 Primus Furnace

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by nmp, Feb 3, 2012.

1. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

1328285593-DSCN2120_opt.jpg

1328285648-DSCN2123_opt.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of an abused Primus 702 and a London furnace 210 that I found in a antique/ junk shop in Sussex today.The whole thing was stood half buried in a pile of dead leaves in a half open workshop out the back.
    The burner tube is missing and the pump rod is bent along with a damaged thread on the pump tube.

One removable section of the furnace outer crucible is missing and the hinged access door has fallen off.
    The whole thing appears to be lacquered and has a few dents in it.
    The filler cap has been tightened by a gorilla in an attempt to get a seal and in the process the thumb grip has been twisted!
    The date stamp on the bottom reads AU 2 Making it 1955 I think?
    A major project and a visit to the sand blaster for the furnace and then life as a patio heater!!?
    Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Great project! Looking forward for photo's of the Beast back in working condition! :thumbup:

Best regards,

Wim

3. nmp

Just had the furnace sand blasted and it has come up a treat the shiny areas are those that have been wire brushed ready for painting. I intend using wood burner stove paint.

Any thoughts folks?

Nick

1331986782-cleaned_opt.jpg

4. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Nick brilliant find there the iron frame has come up realy well with the sand blasting a lot more effective and quicker than going over it with a wire brush,a good ideal painting it in stove paint that will prvent is rusting and looking good,shame its missing its flame spreader and spirit cup but easily replaced,i will look forwrad to seeing it restored and up and running

5. nmp

I have got a flame spreader and a spirit cup on the Primus.
    I have another thread running thread in the reference gallery They all need putting together in the fettling section really. I have refitted the legs with new screws as the others sheared of getting it apart and I have fitted a new hinge to the door.I now have to repair the door handle which needs either welding or a new screw drilling and tapping into it to hold the catch in place

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/20525
    Looking at it you have commented on that thread as well, I am getting lost between the 2 myself!!!!!!!!
    Cheers Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  6. nmp

Here are a couple of the more or less finished thing.
    Handle on door to be repaired yet I will post the same in the reference section.
    Paint is wood stove paint by Plastikote sprayed then oven baked to cure 200degrees C for 15 mins.

1332109527-702_opt_fettled.jpg

1332109549-fettled702.jpg

7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Handsome job you've made of it Nick.

John

8. nmp

Cheers john.
    A bit over the top I know especially the gold lettering!!

PIMP MY PRIMUS OR WHAT!!!!!

It will look a bit more normal after a few firings and a bit of lead melting has gone on.
    I will be interested in the staying power of the paint.
    There are some minor details to finish off still but its getting there.

Cheers Nick

9. RonPH

Nick, astounding restoration :thumbup:

Ron

10. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

It came out gorgeous. Great job! :thumbup: :thumbup:

11. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

Very Very Tasty :clap: :clap: 8) 8) :thumbup:

Stu :mrgreen: :thumbup:

12. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Very very nice job indeed i realy like the paint finish, it looks just like aged cast iron and not a paint finish,and the gold lettering goes realy well with it

13. nmp

Cheers gentlemen!
    I am going to fix the door handle and touch up the paint around it[ shows up as missed in the Photo]

I may fire it up tonight and see what happens to the paint on the crucible.

Then think about what I can do with it!
    Nick

14. nmp

1332188674-opt_fettled.jpg
    London furnace at full throttle. A little blurred but you get the idea.

LOUD!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :thumbup:

15. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Hi Nick, Great job done. This is the part of stove and lamp fettling that I really enjoy; finding and saving something from the skip or scrap-dealer's and bringing it back to life. Great work! Steve.

16. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Nick very impresive indeed a superb restoration through out,it must sound like a jet engine, did the stove paint stand up to the heat on the upper part

17. nmp

Hi I had it burning for about 15 minutes and so far the paint is fine Brian!
    I dont know how long it would take to get the crucible ready to melt the lead but I should imagine a fair while, after 15 minutes the outer container was not to hot to touch [fairly quickly !] So the next step is to fill it up with fuel and try and melt some lead. I would think that once its up to temp it would take very little heat to keep the lead molten for use.There is a lot of cast iron to heat up. I think that the missing part from the outer bowl may prove to be the downfall as a lot of heat is lost through it rather than being directed around the crucible. We will see. I may have to improvise a piece of steel to fill the gap until I can find a replacement or get one cast??!!
    Thanks everyone who has helped with parts, info and encouragement on this one.
    Nick

18. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Nick i would think the paint now will be fine being as it has now been cured by the heat, most of these very high tempreture paints can with stand tempretures around 600 degrees but the tempreture needs to be built up to that tempreture gradualy to be able to withstand the maximum tempreture,
    I dont think you may find the inner crucible will heat up a little quicker than you imagine as the hottest part of the flame is directed on the inner crucible