8R Factory Pump???

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by montanafan, May 13, 2019.

1. montanafan

montanafan United States Subscriber

Hello all,

Picked up an 8R on Craigslist and cleaned it up and replaced most of the gaskets, graphite, etc.

Has anyone ever seen a Factory pump model? The pump has a riveted holder in the center of the lid that looks factory. Fits between the tank and bell when closing, and even pushes the heat shield against the tank.

Ideas on date. From reviewing the forums, it seems a later model. Could be a cold weather model as is from the Pacific Northwest where we snow camp quite a bit.

Thx, M

thumbnail (2).jpeg

thumbnail (1).jpeg

2. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

I've never seen an 8R with a bracket for a mini pump, so I think that was added by a previous owner. The mini (and midi) pumps were offered as after market items. They are sometimes available on that auction site, though it looks like you already have one. The pump is not necessary to operate the stove.

....Arch

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber SotM Winner

4. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Thanks, George. I had forgotten about that.

....Arch

5. montanafan

montanafan United States Subscriber

Thank you for your input. I posted this to see if anyone else had seen a pump fitted similar to mine. The pump mounting clip is formed spring steel and looks very factory. It may have come with the pump, but doesn't look home or shop made. Time will tell if this is a one off or factory. If anyone else has one post pics.

WOW, the pumps really inspire strong feelings on the forum. Lots of posts that they are not needed. The old Hunter advertisement seems to think they have a place with increased BTUs and decreased boil times. Will have to wait until next winter's snowshoe backpacking trip to see how it does directly placed on snow.

Thanks for all of the helpful information on the forum. The restoration photos are inspirational. Really helps maintaining these old stoves.

[​IMG]

hunter stove 200 (1).jpg