8R repaint?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Chris Barrett, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Chris Barrett

Hello dudes. Could you tell me what type of paint I need to use for repainting my 8r?
    Cheers

2. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

Hi @Chris Barrett Welcome to CCS, the nearest colour to the one you want is "Ford Cosmos" blue.

Si

3. Chris Barrett

Ey up matey. Normal rattle can spray or a special heat resistant type?

4. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

Was originally done in cellulose.

Si

5. Chris Barrett

Righty ho. I'll see if I can track some down

6. itchy

Some use hight temperature paints. I have not, and even with a little fuel spillage during the priming step it seems to hold up well enough. Yes there are some scratches and wear from rubbing in the pack, but heat damage -- none so far.

7. Gavin Mulholland

Hi Chris, I recently used military heat resistant paint - the stuff they use on engine bays, brake drums, calipers etc.

Then I finished it with lacquer which, once you bake it in the oven, is heat resistant to a very high degree.

Worth saying that I made no attempt to match the original colour so there are probably some purists that would object. Depends what you want I guess..
    B.JPG .
    Here is a pic of a 111 that I just finished.

8. asellars

Here is the rattle can redo of my father's 50 year old 8R I finished a few weeks back. It is a burner so I didn't spend too much [any?] time cleaning up the inside.

There is some paint scraping in the hinges where the top is connected to the bottom. May be the result of me putting too many primer coats on. Also include what I sprayed.

Many thanks to the forms for guidance.

20170910_111943.jpg

20170910_111951.jpg

IMG_20170925_194940.jpg

IMG_20170925_194951.jpg

9. Gavin Mulholland

10. Nicosdecos United Kingdom

Looked this thread up as i was trying to find out best approach to cleaning an 8r case. These restorations look great and i have considered a full strip down and respray,but any suggestions on restoring the exterior case without removing existing paint. Thanks nick

11. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I did an 8R and many Coleman lanterns and stoves. Most of them I used stripper and wire brush and wheel to take doen to bare metal. A couple Coleman suitcases I have done partial paint jobs without removing the paint. I roughed them up with steel wool, wiped down with acetone, and rattle canned them. I try to use high temp paint whenever I can, but sometimes the colors are not available.

12. Nicosdecos United Kingdom

Thanks brad.thats good of you.yeah i think im gonna just strip them right back after all. I had wanted to keep some of the patina but after looking at various repaint think i'll go with that. Many thanks nic

13. BradB

Nic, for smaller stoves like the 8R I use a toaster oven to cure the paint. Most rattle can paint can be handled in an hour, so at that time I put them in the oven at about 175°F or 80°C for 45 minutes. Then let it cool to touch and don't overdo the heat the first few uses of the stove. Time cures paint as well. Brad

14. Macaroon United States

If the electric oven indoors is out of bounds, would an outdoor Weber Spirit gas BBQ work do you know? Or would heat produced by burning gas be too direct or too humid compared to electrically produced heat? The other thing is that the lowest temp my BBQ will go to is around 140 degrees Celsius so maybe this is too high?

15. Simes

Simes R.I.P.

16. BradB

Agreed, I bought one new, available very inexpensively at Walmart, and it works well for small paint jobs. I think 140°C is hotter than most people have been using to cure the paint. If you want to read extensive discussions about painting stoves and lanterns try the Coleman Collectors Forum.

17. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

A Coleman oven works well, too.

18. Simes

Simes R.I.P.

And if you have and old spare one it would double as a spray booth as well.