96 for "serious" usage?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Doc Mark, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, Lads,

I was wondering if any of you backpackers out there have ever used a 96 for some serious, long distance trips? I have never done so, but have only used such stoves on weekend adventures, and on trips when the car is nearby. For longer trips, we have used an Optimus 00, but even then, worried about the lead tank gasket holding up for the entire trip. In that regard, how many have used a 00 for a very long trip, of, say, several hundred miles, and daily use for weeks? I always have worried that the continual putting on and taking off of the burner would eventually leave you with a fettling problem. Your thoughts and experiences will be greatly appreciated, Gents!

Off to church! I'll check back upon our return, and see if any of you have had the chance to reply. Eager to learn, ya' know!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

2. rik_uk3

Doc, the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) still use the Optimus 45 for field cooking on extended trips, I would say that says a lot about the stove 8)

3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

I do not know about intensive use over a short period of time, but I can certainly vouch for the Primus 96 for extended use. I bought my first 96 (and only, until the collecting bug got to me in recent years) in 1972. It was then my main stove for about 15 years.

I still have the stove and although I changed some of its parts over time (pan legs, a burner tube) it never let me down. I have never had to re-solder any parts and the lead washer is still the original.

You can see the stove in all its glory below:

cc816962.jpg

4. aktopp

:shock: WOW!!!!! :shock:
    Can you pleeeeease tell me what you do to make it shine like that? [-o

5. shagratork

Hi Arne

First of all, I will tell you how I used to use the stove. I used to use it mainly on weekends. Before using it again, I always cleaned the stove so that it was as good as new again. As this was done regulary, it meant that the stove never go too dirty and so was easy to clean.

But . . . . since then I have aquired many stoves - most of them look as if they have never been cleaned before. I always try to restore them to their original condition, physically and visually. Nowadys, I only clean stoves for display purposes. Stoves I use on a regular basis I tend to leave alone.

For carbonised items, I soak in diluted citric acid for a few hours (and then rinse very well). I then clean all parts. I tend to use a mixture of using a cloth by hand and also, where necessry, a dremmel-type drill with a polishing pad attached. Whichever method, I use a cream-paste metal polish - such as 'Solvol Autosol'. It often takes many hours to get the desired finish, but it is worth it.

Display1.jpg

a86cdc84.jpg

3288eae5.jpg

6. aktopp

Hi shagratork,

I was afraid of that. Houres of hard work ;)
    Where did I put that Dremmel?

Thank you very much.

7. Nordicthug

Nordicthug R.I.P.

The only drawback I can see to using the 96's or even the Optimus 00 size stoves as one's main stove for backpacking is the flimsy tin boxes the Swedes sent with them. If one had a sturdy box along the lines of the aluminum boxes made for the Coleman 502 or 400 series, you'd have a real winner.

The tin boxes for the various stoves are real eye candy to me, but impractical for backpacking. I wish I'd been exposed to kero burners earlier, The first pressure stove I ever used is my old friend, my bulletproof, immortal, Svea 123 now approaching it's 37th birthday, never having failed me once in all those years, and never needing a single repair. Talk about reliability! !

For polishing, get a tin of "Nevr Dull" Amazing!! It's also sold as "Wilton Armetale Polish"

Gerry

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, Trevor,

VERY nice photos of your stoves, and VERY nice stoves, too!!! Looks like you've got one of Albert's Handi Stovettes. Did it come with the mix of burners, one roarer, and one silent?? I like the idea of having one of each type burner in the same stove. Also is that an Optimus #3 that I see in one of your photos? Nice! I have one, too, and will keep it in it's brand new condition. Again, great photos! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Thanks, also to those that have expressed their "support" for the 96, 00, and other stoves like them. I guess I'll have to take a week and try both stoves, just for grins. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

9. Guest

A few feet of plumbers PTFE tape would be a good thing to take along Too.

Regards Tony

10. shagratork

Hi Doc

Thanks for the interest in my stoves. These were a small selection of my stoves which I displayed in the 'Collectors Gathering 2004' at Newark in England.

You are right in that you can see one of the Handi Works stoves. It is the one nearest the camera on pictures 1 and two. It is a roarer and has a copper tank. The one furthest from the camera is a similar-looking but different 'Companion' stove, also made in Australia and is a Svea 'look-a-like' with a brass tank and is a silent burner.

The Companion is below:

Companion3.jpg

You mention an Optimus #3, if you mean the large stove on the middle picture, that is a 1939 Primus #2. I also have its cast iron trivet but forgot to put it on for the photo.