A Borde Bomb in Australia

Discussion in 'Borde' started by Craig, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Craig

I won an auction for this stove the other day, but since the parcel is still in transit, I'll use one of the seller's auction pics as a placeholder.

borde_zpspzy4wrid.jpg~original.jpg

As you can see, it comes with original wire adjuster, box and instruction sheet. I have no idea how old it may be, but didn't they still make these stoves well into the 2000s?

When it arrives, I'll post some more pics and maybe some video of the stove in use.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
  2. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

i know a fellow in Germany bought the rights and made them but i don't think it was into the 2000's
    you have the "real" one made by the Swiss from the looks of it.

3. Chef BC

It would be interesting to see what pans out when your Borde arrives for you, and by the way; congratulations!
    There may be subtle differences from one series to the next, in my searching I could not find anything to "where or when" one technique or practice started or stopped or even resumed. Some Borde stoves have a knurled fuel plug while some may not, this knurling may differ, the fuel plug may be a course thread while others may have a fine thread. Some stoves may have a priming coil wrapped either to clockwise or anti- clockwise depending on the length of the feeder tube as it exits the tank. Some "Colorado Bordes" were shipped directly to the U.S. in the 1970s and were sold with the retailers' water decal on the bottom of the tank. These differences may be all due to different craftsman techniques since these were never really made by machine. I have therorys but with little documentation available over time, it is hard to say. Other differences indicate variations in the quality and attention taken to the star wheel and whether it was neat and uniform or somewhat the result of hurried or insensitive production techniques. Some have a crossbow stamp while others do not, the crossbow may be in a different place from one stove to another, it all gets so confusing even without considering the differences of the control hooks, the genuine ones that is.

4. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

I thought I had posted here earlier but I can no longer see it. I commented on my guess of the age and said it was a good acquisition. Could I have deleted it accidentally? unsure what has happened?

5. Craig

Dunno mate, I didn't see it.

@Chef BC : I don't see a crossbow stamp on mine, just "Borde Patent" and a partial stamp on one of the coils which I can't read, but may be "Switzerland". Did the Borde's come with a warning sticker? There's adhesive residue from a sticker on the underside of the tank.

I've used the Borde a couple of times now.

I found it a bit scary to use with a Swiss army Volcano/Ranger stove. It boiled the water OK, but I found that due to the enclosed space in the cooker I couldn't adjust the flame so I was worried about it overheating. Of course, the main body of the Borde was too hot to touch and the wire handle was a bit too loose around the stove to be useful. All of the above was made more difficult by the fact that the Borde burner had to be twisted and cajoled into fitting through the port on the Volcano cooker anyway :-) I love it!

In the absence of a hinged "V" pot stand, I tried the Borde with my Swedish M41 alcohol cooker windscreen turned upside down. Boiling vessel in this case was a little anodised aluminium teapot. It worked fine, but took a little too long for a rolling boil for my liking, probably because there was too much of an air gap between the Borde's burner and the bottom of the teapot. Still, it was promising.

Next week I'm heading off on an overnight bushwalking trip so I'll take the Borde and run it through its paces, probably with a home-made "V" stand.

Here's some pics of the Borde in use with the Swedish cooker windscreen. Apologies for the unpretty photos, it's cold and wet and I was unmotivated to get the DSLR out ;-)

IMG_20150717_125441.jpg IMG_20150717_125552.jpg IMG_20150717_125608.jpg IMG_20150717_125614.jpg IMG_20150717_125628.jpg IMG_20150717_125841.jpg

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    That's a serious piece of kit!

7. Chef BC

Craig, that is a very ingenious setup there! I used my volcano/Borde combination once; never to be joined again unless I widen the stove access port on the windscreen first, it caused the aluminum at the edges of the cutout to weaken but more discouragingly, the nickel plating on the braised joint began to flake away. Now the volcano is relegated to being used with esbit tablets or sticks and chunks of wood. I have never seen a warning decal on any Borde stove but what language do you think it should be?