A Frankenstove?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Lance, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Lance

We (most of us anyway) know how out-of-date the Hank Roberts type gas cylinders are, well i think i may have a soluation.

Have a look here.

I bought this for pocket change:
    DSCN0707.jpg

Following some slight modifications i think i have brought it into the 21 centery. This isn't my best silver solder work but i was in a hurry to get it done:
    DSCN0711.jpg

a2d1087b.jpg

Looking a bit cold arn't we:
    DSCN0712.jpg

It seems to work okay but you be the judge:
    DSCN0718.jpg

A wee bit of the cherry for our friends who like such:
    5a61233c.jpg

Well, is this a fair to middl'n frankenstove:
    DSCN0718.jpg

I sure wish i could find some of these narrow cylinders that were only half as long.

lance

2. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Lance,
    Any conversion is a good. One, I have see those stoves in pink! Now that is a classic.

Chuck

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Lance,

Great job!! Looks like it works very well! Now, you have to get it working on Coleman fuel..... your NEXT project!!

Chuck, I have to admit, that I have one of those pink Coleman LPG stoves! :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol: I do believe that mine still has it's two Coleman cannisters attached to it, too. Hey, I got it back in 1990, with it's original box, the warranty card, and instructions, in outstanding condition, for only $5.50!!! How could I NOT buy it??!! I can take photos, if anyone has interest, but I won't be offended if nobody cares to see it!! ;) :lol: :lol: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

4. Lance

I have a hose which connects a 5 gallon LPG tank to a Coleman or Primus LPG stove and it will work with this one too. i wonder how many meals i could cook up using a 5 gallon tank?????

lance

5. usdan50

usdan50 R.I.P.

I bought a case of the original cans at the Ohio convention. Fourty five bucks for eight or ten cans. Very expensive but considering they haven't been produced since 79 it was for display. I have a couple of the stoves and lanterns that used the old can. I bought a bird cage Coleman #5101 at a flea market with a preppo can still on it. Full! Seems like a good enough seal to me.

P9110408.jpg

The mantle was still intact. I had it burning on the first anniversary of 9/11

Dan

6. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

I've got the 2-burner variant of that, called a "Coleman Picnic Stove". It was given to me by a neighbor several years back. Looks like I've got a future project.
    ....Arch

7. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Damn the hazardous goods crap! Those 6oz. / 170g. cans are common as muck here. :cry:

8. RonPH

Actually I saw one like that last Sunday in the flea market and the lady wanted top dollar for it saying I can still find those canisters. She apparently does not know they are no longer in production. Then again I can still convert this into a modern butane stove if I can find one like this real cheap or someone loans me one to convert as a hobby and get it back when its done plus cost for parts and postage. You'de be amazed at the end result. Anybody interested in selling me one? So it will be my 2nd frankenstove?

Ron

9. hikin_jim

Hope no one minds if I try to breathe a breath of life into an old post. :)

What kind of cylinders are those? And are those cylinders still available today? What type of fitting is that? A standard Coleman propane bottle fitting? (Well, they're pretty common in the US anyway)

10. RonPH

Jim, the connectors were converted from Hank Roberts style canisters to propane canisters avaliable at hardware stores. Our CCS brother soldered a propane connector on to the stove removing the old style hank roberts connector. Only thing is of course its protruding beyond the stove casing. Does not really matter as long as it works I guess.

Ron

11. hikin_jim

Looks like he did a fine job of it. Very good.

So these hardware store propane tanks, do they use the same connector as the green Coleman propane bottles use? It looks very similar.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  12. RonPH

HJ, the original connector on the coleman was the same as the Hank Roberts connector. The CCS member cut that off and soldered a propane connector hence he now can use his stove using propane tanks available at the stores. A bit of soldering and its working again.

13. Lance

Hello Jim.

Yes i soldered the connection from a standard fitting. It's a bit ugly but i must admit i like the way it works. I only wish i could find the smaller diameter cylinders. If you are looking for the Blue type as shown in the photo do not look in the camping section of your store but rather look in the hardware section. Where they carry soldering supplies or pipe fitting supplies.

My local Farm and Fleet carries these in the pipe fitting section.

lance.

Ps Thanks for the pat for a good job of sil-brazing but really it's not my best. Way too much solder on the ajoining pieces.

lp

14. RonPH

Hey Lance, do they still sell those fittings that take the slim propane tanks? I cant seem to find them here at the hardware stores except when its connected to the bernzomatic propane torch. Let me know if they still have the just the propane connector, might ask you to get one for me buddy. Neat stuff we can do to revive new stoves.

Ron

15. Lance

As i remember i used the fitting from a refill connector. Way to expensive to do unless you have a large supply of them.

torches are cheap if you get them at a flea market or garage sale. As a bonus, using the torch assembly you also get a shut-off valve.

lance

16. RonPH

Yeah, I have one of those but I use it for the stovies. I guess I will be looking at fleabay for used 99cent ones with $10 shipping :shock:

Thanks anyways....Happy Holloween!

17. Lance

I would suggest you look to a flea market or garage sale. Ten dollar shipping is a sellers way of sticking you with a low bid selling price. Since i have two or three valve assemblies for torches i'll sell you one and ship it for your tenner, just send me your shipping addy in a PT.

lance

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015