A Further 8R Clone Mystery

Discussion in 'Mystery Stoves' started by Radog, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Radog

Radog Subscriber

Hello Gents. I have been pouring over the various 8R clone threads and the numerous other rabbit holes that each of those threads in turn produce and have not solved my mystery clone. Aside from the solid "UN Blue" colour on the suspected clone on the right, and the fuel warning sticker on the inside lid of the known Optimus 8R on the left, I can not find one other point of difference between them. I have a pair of Mi Mi clones and the differences are quite obvious.

I don't think that the suspected clone is a repainted 8R - although I could certainly be wrong on that. If it was repainted, it was stripped to the bare metal and very well done.

I'd be grateful for your insights. 20210118_150458[1].jpg

Attached Files:

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Radog Clone? It has an Optimus 8R sticker on it, so that’s been added subsequently?

What are ‘Mi Mi’?

Your stove heatshields are upside-down incidentally.

John

3. Radog

Radog Subscriber

Thanks for that John.
    Heat shields were a test. Well done you!
    Optimus 8 R stickers are readily available online and could have been added after the fact. Not a great barometer for establishing lineage I would think?
    "Mi Mi" - that's what it says on the box. Made in Taiwan for the F.W. Woolworth's company which was bought out in about 1993 in Canada. This one has never been fired. I have a second one in much rougher shape but aside from the key, they could be twins.
    Perhaps this is another mystery.
    Regards. Mark.
    20210118_164941[1].jpg

Attached Files:

4. afoton

How is the paint underneath the clip on lid. It is one of those places that would be very difficult to repaint.
    Are the threads the same, the burner bell is interchangeble etc?

5. Radog

Radog Subscriber

Excellent suggestions afoton. Yes, uniform paint application throughout, including under the clip and easily interchangeable burner bells, suggesting identical threads.

6. OMC

OMC Subscriber

It looks like an 8R of a certain vintage in a repainted (non embossed, no handle) 8R case.
    Closer looks probably reveal the 2 do differ. If so, that may not prove it is not an original 8R. Model details do develop/evolve.

Presuming tank lids match, check burner head (bell) height as well. That and IF valve rebuild parts are interchangeable and if tank to burner asm. connection is a match, that rules out almost all of the copies.

Was the different valve housing (burner) also a test?
    2 closeup top down images will show if the *valve housing of the 1 on the left is longer (it appears so).
    The *packing nuts differ, *spindles might differ.
    *The key on left 1 extends further out as a result.
    I have an 8R in hand, valve housing and packing nut look to match the one on the right. Key extends outward less.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  7. Radog

Radog Subscriber

Thank you for that OMC. Again, helpful observations. I am embarrassed to say that unfortunately, I left both stoves on the work bench at my cottage so cannot offer fresh photos, but will check those things when I get back there.