A good way to discourage a buyer

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Blueflame, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Blueflame

Blueflame Canada Subscriber

I was looking at some India made stoves and came upon this video which is intended to show the lighting procedure....

2. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Rein de plus simple...

3. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Aye - doesn't surprise me the 'no alcohol' method is used. Possibly using alcohol is an expensive way to do it in many developing countries. He's makes a better job of it on the single burner range in another of their video's but with more flame & probably soot than we're used too.

Their channel gives an ebay link with worldwide shipping. Be very surprised if it's eligible for sale in Europe unless it's got a CE mark. Haven't seen one from India with one yet.

4. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

I kinda feel for him, if that was the Best Attempt to post. Seems like a lot of pumping also. A wick would go a long way to improve preheating with kerosene.

5. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Or he cold use the old emergency trick with filling the cup with some kero and then use a couple of matches as wicks.
    Sooty, but it works.

6. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

I was going to suggest a bit of newspaper or rag as well but kero that will even light with a match???? Ok the video is probably from India where it is a little warmer than here but even so. Then the kero he was using looked worse than some Ive thrown out after cleaning wheel bearings

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

yoyotraders
    4 stove videos total.
    Thank you Ross, for the thought that meths would be an added expense in their world.
    I started an XGK in a tent, using only kero. My tent mate said "Never do that again!". I had heard they ran on kero. I had no previous experience.

8. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Some of youse guys here are tough winter types; I never thought about running a stove in a tent in my livelong days; except the wood one, of course.

I think it's probably because there was a lacuna of 40+ years between stopping backpacking as a teen and resuming it at 59....8]

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

It was part way to Camp Muir in January. Every few hours we had to shake the snow off of the tent door.
    TNF Mountain 25 tent.
    We had the vents open.
    A deep trench at the vestibule.
    Never an issue when I used Coleman fuel.
    I did not use kerosene again until I learned about it here.

10. Ed Winskill

Well, there you go! It's a steep climb up to Muir, as I know from looking at it from below....

11. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Winter was a whole different thing.
    It was clear when we started and came into a white out, spent the night, white out all the way back to Paradise.
    You should go sometime. With someone that knows the way.
    About 5400 ft to 10,200 ft (?)
    A truly great hike. Check weather first. :)

12. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

First time I tried to light a kerosene stove was worse than that. I had read about the procedure (in those pre-CCS days) and ordered a stove. The brand new Optimus 00 arrived just before I left on a weekend trip, so I tossed it and a can of kero into my pack.

I did use a wick (rolled up piece of tissue), but didn't preheat enough and probably had overfilled the tank. I remember liquid fuel running down the sides of the tank and then igniting in a smoky mess. Started to reach through the flames for the release valve, thought better of it, and then kicked the stove down the sand dune I was camped on. It eventually burned out and cooled off, and I put the whole oily, sooty, sandy mess into a plastic bag to haul home. Luckily, I had another stove with me.

At the time, I don't believe I would have wanted to see my performance on an instructional video, though I would find it amusing now.

....Arch

13. ajvuik

ajvuik Subscriber

This sounds a lot like stove abuse to me [-X ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2019
  14. Ed Winskill

My brother John did that years back with a one-pinter, out on his back driveway, and the entire stove came apart before it was over.

15. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

It does sound like stove abuse, but it seemed uncomfortably close to the tent as I had no idea how big the conflagration was going to get. As it turned out, no big deal. I retrieved it before going to bed, and it cleaned up well once I got home (though the shiny lacquered finish was pretty much gone). It started up just fine once I figured out what I was doing. I still have (and enjoy using) the stove.

....Arch

Edit: For what it's worth, sand makes a pretty good wick...

16. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber