A Monitor Prov Pat 32607, ? may be

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by CRAZY CRAB, May 6, 2021.

1. CRAZY CRAB

CRAZY CRAB Ireland Subscriber

got this today, looked at a few pic, I think it could be a monitor 3 variant, now, have played with it, replaces all seals, but, is there some think in tank, some kind of anti tilt thing, there is some kind of box, plus, the tube/vaporizer, , some think inside it, that rattles , its not the wire gorge, its above it, and it is heavier then normal, is it some kind of safety thing, then you got that cut out were you input the fuel, see last pick and last of all, the flame speader has been welded on, and last last time, of all, the door is missing, i can make one

monitor 1.jpg monitor 2.jpg monitor 3.jpg

[​IMG]

2. CRAZY CRAB

why does this stove still fire up when no pressure in tank, it should go out

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Little paraffin stoves, small tank often self-pressurise (a bit) with the priming charge. Heat’s conducted to the fuel. Bigger stoves, the heat from priming gets conducted away (apart from the burner) by the greater mass of brass.

‘96’ stoves do it a lot.

4. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Nice stove! :thumbup:
    Have you had the vapouriser off and checked the condition of the gause? I'm assuming it's holding liquid fuel and just taking a wile to vapouriser it.
    And / or
    There may be a partial blockage in the feed pipe that is keeping fuel in the vapouriser after the cap is removed.

5. threedots New Zealand

Hello @CRAZY CRAB . It would be interesting to see what the rattle could be caused by. John

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  6. Jaime Massang

Jaime Massang Australia Subscriber

Could the gauze be a bit dirty wherein it is acting as a one way valve i.e. it lets fuel up the riser which loosens particulate matter in the gauze mesh but as soon as it vaporizes ( and thus expands) the back-pressure forces the 'dirt' particulates back into the mesh without pressure reaching the tank? The pulsing effect effect would last until the trapped fuel in the riser is burnt off and a pressure equilibrium is reached between the riser and the tank when the combination air vent / filling cap is unscrewed or left off.
    If my theory is correct, I would take the gauze out and see whether there is loose particulate matter trapped in it.

7. CRAZY CRAB

gauze is ok, can move it around, looks clean, but its the rattle, it is heavy for a lip stick, and some think in tank, when you pump , there is a pause then the fuel comes up, will spend today investigating, this stove is not a normal stove, would it have some kind of anti tilt thing init, if it got knock over it goes out, and take more pics of lip stick,

8. Jaime Massang

I don't own one of these. You could be right. I imagine a captive ball bearing in the lipstick's bore or pick up tube that could shut off the burner if the stove is in a tipped over position or the like. Very interested in what you may find.

9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

10. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Provisional Patent 32607 :

“The stove had a non return valve under the burner which allowed the stove to be carried with fuel in it without spilling. This was given a provisional no of 32607.”

From a Bryan Miller post:

1939? MONITOR NO 2 PICNIC STOVE

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

11. Jaime Massang

Yes. Provisional patent applications are not published so the invention is kept confidential until a complete application is made within 12 months.
    The complete application for which prov.pat. 32607(filed Nov 10, 1938)provides a priority claim is UK patent 521020(lodged Nov 10, 1939).
    This relates to a spring loaded valve in the riser which shuts off if there is no pressure in the tank or is insufficient to overcome the compression of the spring e.g. in storage.
    This is referenced in the CCS patents library under patents for Monitor.

Regards, Jaime.

12. CRAZY CRAB

getting in touch with Pat office, to get copy of plans, I hope

plus I have seen 3 types of this stove, the quiet one, the noisy one, and then a wield looking one, looks like a bolt,

13. CRAZY CRAB

one problem solved , the lipstick, and gauze, got it out, after i had got the lead seal off, which was welded on kind of thing, gauze was super rolled up tight, and longer then the other gauze I have pulled out of 96s, opened it up carefully cleaned it, rolled it back up, cleaned out lipstick, rattle had gone, it was the super rolled up gauze bagging against the sides, now a good fit, on rattle, now to look at the tank

[​IMG]

14. Jaime Massang

Good you could get the gauze out. It would have sieved and collected particulate matter over the years.
    It could also be whoever replaced it previously may have used the whole roll supplied rather than trimmed it to a correct size.

15. CRAZY CRAB

got thing thing all sorted and working, box was sand blasted, wiped down with white spirits, then painted with anti rust paint, just have to make a door

monitor 2.jpg monitor 3.jpg part number 1.jpg part number 3.jpg part number 2.jpg

16. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

It's progressing nicely :thumbup:

17. CRAZY CRAB

a temp door on , took it off a tin for a 96, used thin wire to keep it on, for now, off to model shop to get a hinge or two, then to hard ware shop to get a latch or two, found an old tin that has been outside for 15 plus years, so going to have to get some metal cutters, to cut it to size, then put lid back on old 96 tin, just use some old ear phones wire, to put it on

the pat number 333333333 stove with door.jpg