A question from a newbie

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Redwitch, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Redwitch

My husband and I bought a US made model 532 Solus at an estate sale because it looked so cool. (Was $15 a good price?) It appears complete from the 1955 parts list/schematic I found on another site. I've seen that it needs to be preheated with denatured alcohol so it will light. My main question is do we have to burn kerosene (as it is a paraffin stove) or can we burn Coleman fuel in it?
    Thanks in advance for your help, Donna & Matt

2. 1966dave

KEROSENE ONLY!!!!!!!

Very dangerous to put coleman fuel near it....

3. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Right; kerosene only, absolutely.

It was quite a good price.

4. The Bird

Don't forget to check all the seals and gaskets before you try to use it though.

The learned gentlemen here can introduce you to all such arcane and hidden wonders as you attempt to invoke fire in your sleeping dragon.....

Best of luck, 'tis truly satisfying to succeed in a resurrection, and it is a handy device to have when the need arises.

Caution though, you may soon fall prey to the dreaded "Stove Pox," this place is rife with it.....

Enjoy your new-found wonder.

Best regards,

Mike.

5. zuludog

Yes, paraffin/kerosene only, with, as you say, methylated spirit/alcohol for preheating.

Put 'lighting a primus stove' into the search box on YouTube. Although it doesn't show your particular stove, there are other similar models of paraffin stoves, such as the 96

6. Eamonn

In a pinch you can pump kerosene into the cup and add something to act as a whick like a piece of paper or cotton. It will however soot up the burner and smell a bit.

7. 111T

111T Subscriber

Are you having a hard time finding kerosene? The no gasoline no coleman fuel thing really cannot be overstated. In developing countries where kerosene stoves are in more common use, a common cause of severe burns is impure kerosene is cut with lighter fuels.

8. magikbus

A quick question, when you turn the pump knob clockwise a few turns, does it tighten and won't turn any more? If so it has the Coleman style non return valve. If it turns and turns and turns and doesn't tighten it has the european style non return valve.

Just curious, Coleman made some Solus stoves with one style and some with the other.
    Stan