A tale of two Primus cast iron trivets

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by Tony Press, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Here is a cast iron trivet that I got with a pre-1911 Primus No.5, compared to a later Primus trivet. Note that the earlier one has shortened internal projections in order to accommodate the burner bell from the silent burner.

Pre-1911 trivet:

IMG_8462.jpg

Later trivet:

IMG_8463.jpg

Trivets overlaid, with the older one on top:

IMG_8467.jpg

The trivet came with this stove.

Cheers

Tony

2. Martin

Hi Tony,
    I admire the decoration applied to the earlier trivet. It's nice to see it applied as an expression of craft that would have been appreciated by the cook.
    Cheers
    Martin

3. Tony Press

@abbahco1

Given my recent question regarding Primus trivets, what do you make of these two?

Cheers

Tony

4. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

The burner bowl for the earlier R 133 is larger in diameter than the later model R138, but both stoves (pre-1911 and 1924) are of sufficient height that the trivet clears the burner (the the pre-1911 is marginally shorter). I'm not sure that your earlier trivet is a Primus, as the trivets pictured up to 1917 in Primus catalogues are of the earlier kind, with more connectors between the inner and outer rings. The shorter projections are indicative of a model where the silent burner would have interfered with the trivet. So, I'm not sure. Catalogues often depict earlier designs that had been updated, so it's not clear. Cast-iron trivets in any case were no longer standard for the smaller domestics by 1920 or so, so these must be from the teens.

5. Tony Press

@abbahco1

Thanks. I'll have to get my cast iron trivets together and see what patterns emerge.

Cheers

Tony