A trio of Bleuets

Discussion in 'France' started by presscall, Oct 29, 2012.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

I know not everyone's cup of tea - or rather, stove of choice to brew up on - but I do like a good gassie and Campingaz's Bleuets and Super Bleuets are among the best.

I'm particular pleased to have acquired the one in the middle here, which is a very early 'Super Bleuet' incorporating a slightly more stylised version of the 'cornflower' motif than the realistic rendition of one on the first Bleuet stove, on the left. It also carries the original Bleuet's design of 'Campingaz Bleuet' lozenge. Both date from the early 60's. The livery is the only link with the original Bleuet and the stove design (and gas cartridge) are completely revised, the first of the line in the Super Bleuet range, the version on the right dating from about ten years later

1351542807-1.JPG

1351542820-2.JPG

You can see with this pair of photo comparisons how the earlier Super Bleuet is a transitional design in the time line

1351542828-3.JPG 1351542838-4.JPG

A Campingaz advert from 1961 shows a Super Bleuet that has a paint job of the more modern style, making a clean break with the logo and depiction of a cornflower on the original Bleuet and my example of what I'm supposing is one of the first Super Bleuets

Campingaz advert from 1961 in Stove Ref Library

The burner on the earlier Super Bleuet is entirely of brass - steel on the later models

1351542850-5.JPG

Campingaz made more effort with the first Super Bleuets to round off corners on the pot rest mounting lugs

1351542857-6.JPG 1351542867-7.JPG

So, having checked out O-rings and seals ...

1351542880-8.JPG

... and taking one of these

1351542888-9.JPG

It's ready to fire up. First, a comparison with the original Bleuet and its tiny (and obsolete) gas cartridge ...

1351542898-10.JPG

... which I've evolved a way to refill

1351542907-11.JPG

The 'old' Super Bleuet is a marginally better performer than the newer one

1351542922-12.JPG

1351542943-13.JPG

1351542959-14.JPG

1351542972-15.JPG

Packed for transport

1351544243-17.JPG 1351544255-16.JPG

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Tracer

Tracer Subscriber

I really like the cornflowers, a very nice 1-day trip stove. Such a shame the little cartridges are hard to get now. Luckily I still have 6 or 7, and there's a way to refill them.

Nice photos and great to see the first super bleuet!

3. Dutchmike

Very nice photography John, and making a good point for (collecting) gassies. Me, at one point, almost gave in picking up a first model Bleuet, but decided against starting a collection that likely would end with just the one... which I did not purchase consequently -phew! No, the burning of gaseous mixtures - for pleasure - should have the ritual of pouring fuel, heating up the gear and presurizing the lot.
    Gives me something to tinker and fettle, you know.
    Regards, Mike

4. presscall

Fair comment Mike and thanks for taking a look.

Of course, it's ok to collect and use both and get even more pleasure out of the hobby.

I happily switch from one to the other, or occasionally make a reversible adaptation of a liquid fuel stove to burn butane, but that's another story ... (Frankies, Mods and Hybrids topics)

Juwel 34 on butane

1942 Coleman Speedmaster on butane

Butane fuelled Coleman 502

... and a Coleman 501 (the 'recalled to be scrapped' petrol stove)

Coleman Apex fuelled by butane

Finally, what's not to like about this early brass, steel and copper butane stove?

1949 Weedex stove

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. Dutchmike

John, my trouble is I DO like (any) old technology, so I am just scratching for boundaries! I used to have a collection of Walker tow logs, and still have some steel Record planes I do not use either. So for a while now I am striving for managable proportions which should see me busy selling instead of buying more stuff.
    But I should thank you - and many others - for displaying and describing the odd technologies of yesteryear, as I have discovered I can enjoy these 'articles' just as much without owning them.
    This is for me a major value of CCS, next to the exchange of information.

Mike

6. presscall

Well said, Mike and always a pleasure to hear from you.

Though you've sound reasons (wish I had that measure of self-discipline!) for keeping your collection reasonably small it's not in any way impacted on the calibre of your posts on CCS.

Regards,

John

7. Tic Tac

Hi Guy's looking at the dates on your posts I think this will be a bit late (25/11/13) anyway I have just bought one of the (Réchard Bleuet au butane camping gaz) stoves in a blue can like the first in the picture of 3. Mine has no vent holes in the top. Can I get cylinders for this unit or will it go in the bin, only cost 20p at a car boot sale so no great loss.
    Regards Tic Tac

8. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Tic Tac, welcome on board!

If I am right you bought the very early version of the Bleuet? If so, these cartridges are no longer sold (in fact, for quite a few years now). Still, if you have an empty one it can be refilled! John (Presscall) can tell you all you need to know on how to do this. Don't throw it in the bin, some people on CCS will be more than happy to have one of these!

Best regards,

Wim