AADI India Stove 1 Litre

Discussion in 'India' started by Capt Don, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Capt Don

Capt Don United States Subscriber

This is my first post, but I'm a longtime lurker. I pulled the trigger and bought one of the India made Aadi brass 1 Litre Primus copies currently being sold on Ebay. I have a number of real Primus, Hipolito, Svea, and marine stoves, so I know a bit about good stoves. This Indian stove is actually a pretty nice piece for $36 delivered.

It lit right up right out of the box with no leaks or issues. Fueled up, preheated and off it went!
    Solder work is pretty good and neat. The brass is on the thinner side, but still sturdy enough for regular use. The threads on the cap and burner are not perfect, but hold well and dont leak! It even came with a pair of prickers, a pump cup (rubber type) and about 20 gaskets for the burner joint.

The roarer burner is a little lopsided on the burn pattern, but not bad and is totally usable as shipped.

No issues with the NRV or the pump, both work great right out of the box.

I likely will refit it with a silent burner, as I prefer them and have a few. Overall I am very pleased with this little stove, a lot of bang for the buck. I am considering getting one of the bigger brass stoves they make.

20181011_215457.jpg

20181011_215605.jpg

20181011_235153.jpg

20181011_235158.jpg

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Welcome to CCS @Capt Don

They certainly do the job.

Sometimes burner threads on such models are a bit so-so in machining terms, but it’s usually the male threads on the burner rather than the female ones on the burner riser tube, so installing a silent burner replacement shouldn’t present a problem.

John

3. Capt Don

Thanks for the welcome Prescall! I have enjoyed this site for a long time , but didnt really have anything to post until I picked up this stove.

After playing with this stove the last few evenings, it seems to have resolved its uneven burn pattern after several good runs and subsequent pricking the jet. I have a feeling there was some manufacturing dust/shavings in the tank that plugged the jet up pretty fast. Last night I ran it for a solid 45 minutes with no issues, so I think it will be a good runner now. It actually preheats really quickly, much quicker than my Hipolito #2 and will light on 2-3 pump strokes.

I will probably go ahead and fit a silent burner and hold the roarer for a backup, now that I know the roarer it came with works well.

I'm giving serious thought to ordering another one and fitting a nice 209 Opti burner I have had floating around for years. I always wanted a regulated brass alcohol stove to carry with the car picnic set. That way I would not have to worry about leaks or having to remove the burner and cap the tank.

4. TVFranti

I hope you can excuse my intrusion but what’s a “209 Optiburner” and do they enable these brass stoves to burn alcohol?

5. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

Hi @TVFranti
    Capt Don is referring to the Optimus model 209 regulated alcohol burner. These came standard on the Optimus 535A and was optionally available for the Optimus 5 and 45. Probably other models as well. Here's mine on a Primus 5.

6. TVFranti

7. Capt Don

Just a fast update this cheap India made stove. I took the Aadi stove out to my farm workshop and have been using it multiple times daily for making coffee/tea/soup etc. (no electricity on the farm, so I always keep a kerosene stove and lanterns out there). I have been running the heck out of it, and can say that I have had zero issues with it. I am really amazed for a $36 brass stove that it worked at all, let alone daily for over a month. I think it performs as well as my trusty old Hipolito #2 that I was using in my shop for the last couple years. Two of my guys that work at the farm admired it so much (its new and shiny, unlike my old Hipolito) that I ordered a couple more for Christmas gifts for them!

8. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Welcome to CCS @Capt Don.

As we like photos here, could you capture the moment your colleagues open their presents please. :)

9. Capt Don

Thank you for the welcome @Simes , I will try to do that!