Abu Röken - smoker

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by Twoberth, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

I picked this up today off my local Facebook Marketplace.

DSC09228.JPG DSC09229.JPG DSC09230.JPG

It's smallish (29x18x7cms) and should have two small meths burners that fit under the stand

DSC09231.JPG

These are missing, so I tried two pop can burners but they don't contain enough meths to hot smoke a decent size fillet (they take about 25 mins.)

So I inverted the stand, and my Turm 144 just fits inside

DSC09232.JPG

If I fit the smoker across the stand, I can easily access the Turm control knob.

DSC09237.JPG

So some beech and oak shavings in the stainless drip tray, in with the rack and on with the fillet

DSC09233.JPG

I abandoned the drip tray after about 10 mins, as there was not enough heat from the Turm to conduct through the smoker base and the stainless tray and then burn the wood shavings.

DSC09234.JPG

However with the wood shavings directly on the base I got a result 25 mins later!

DSC09239.JPG

It is small enough to take on a fishing trip. The lid slides on under two lips along the top of the sides and gives a great seal, and you can basically use it with any stove where the flame can be controlled.

Made by Abu Garcia in Svangsta Sweden

2. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Good thinking!

3. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks Harder - but not so good thinking about my initial set-up.

After finding the instructions on the internet, I realise that the wood should go directly on the base anyway. Abu recommend wood powder, and the stainless tray goes on top of the wood powder so that the drippings don't spoil any unburned powder.

4. pysen78

pysen78 Subscriber

Nice score!
    I use this to smoke shrimp.
    Even frozen shrimp tastes like fresh smoked.
    Just thaw them a bit, then pop them in. You can fill the entire smoker with shrimp.

The burner that shipped with this smoker is just an open can filled with meth. Nothing fancy. You could substitute it with an empty shoe polish tin.
    Meth burns for aprox. 15mins.

I have smoked bass a few times when out. Fresh water bass. Juniper needles works for smoke material.

Congrats on a good score, and good luck smoking stuff.