ac/dc adapter for electrolysis

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by MarcCote, Jan 25, 2021.

1. MarcCote Canada

I'll like to try my hand out at electrolysis to remove rust off a coleman manifold. Can somebody confirm that this will do the job ? Any links on how to hook everything up ?

Cheers!

20210125_135428.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2021
  2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

3. Brenneman

Brenneman Subscriber

I use a 19 Volt DC 5A laptop charger and it works flawlessly.

You should be fine with this charger/adapter.

4. MarcCote Canada

Great! Thanks for the links and the info fellas. Will try that this evening.

5. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

24v is a bit vicious.
    12v is nice for a good blast and 6v for a gentle simmer. Use a traditional transformer-style battery charger, they are the cheapest and easiest way to do it.

Alec.

6. MarcCote Canada

I found another adapter that is 8.2v and 2.5A. That would seem to be more reasonable. I think I'll try that tonite.

7. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

Alec, I have to disagree about his power source being too strong. I use mostly old laptop power bricks which are 19v 3-4a and they work a treat. In fact I normally use several of them at once especially if I'm doing a big piece like a suitcase stove case. i've found the smaller power supplies often have trouble overcoming the resistance of larger parts (I also do old tools) like a vise part. The guys who are into farm tractor restorations use 240v arc welders as the power supply when they're derusting a big component like an engine block or transmission case. They most I've ever pushed it was a setup that gave about 40v and you will get a little tingle from that if you stick your hand in it. Probably won't go there again, but I was working on a big lump of iron on that project.