Again question about Svea No. 1

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Jukka Pekka, Apr 2, 2021.

1. ArizonaCamper

ArizonaCamper United States Subscriber

My stove DOES have the multilingual (5 languages) text near the filler port.
    I hadn't noticed the model number, but after looking at it in our bright Arizona sunlight, I see "SVEA 5", hardly visible under all of the "patina..."
    I was hoping to try pressurizing the stove W/ my 111B pump, but no go! SVEA 5 uses a larger diameter pump (which I don't have).
    I can see the NRV inside of the pump well.

2. ArizonaCamper

I'm not likely to find the parts to get this stove operating... SO, looks like someone out there could use a part or 2 from it. Please advise what you'd like!

3. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Late: thank you for the updated detail :thumbup:.
    -------------------
    I standby: whenever possible buy complete stoves (re function anyway) and you may still decide to "let it be free".
    That said,
    re your "... not likely to find the parts to get this stove operating ... "
    Making and attaching a leg ... plenty collectors do not (yet) have have skill level to pull that off (or.. put that on!). There's that :-k.
    Otherwise, if you didn't already know, the swedish makers of 2 pinters (ie Primus, Optimus, Radius, Svea) the parts are very much swappable/compatible,
    so, a functional pump asm for example should not be all that hard to source.
    As subscriber you can place a wanted ad on this site for parts (or place ad to sell the Svea 5). At the moment I don't have pump freed up to send you. good luck either way

4. ArizonaCamper

Thanks for your encouragement! I could fashion a leg from some steel rod (Ace HDWE) and braze it into place. I suppose that if I could rig up some kind of air pump to the pump port and pressurize the tank (hoping NRV hold pressure...). I'll measure the thread size and see if I can "jury-rig" something to adapt to the pump port. BUT then to get a burner for this oldie!

5. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

What parts do you need and what model of stove is it? Peter

6. Scrambler

Scrambler Australia Subscriber

@abbahco1

There are photos earlier in the thread. It is a Svea 5.

7. ArizonaCamper

At the very least, I'll need the burner ring (Bell?) and the pump. I've not taken the stove apart to check on the condition of other parts. A friend is machining an NRV tool for my 111B and (hopefully) it will serve to remove the NRV in my SVEA 5. My plan is to try to fire it up W/ minimal Fettling (Can't stop using that word!) and then install whatever gasket or seal as needed.

8. Scrambler

The flame ring is not necessary to getting the stove going. So a test run without is doable. And it is definitely able to be purchased as a new replacement- there are only a few sizes (3?)

Does the 111b pump plunger fit the Svea? Again, remember these parts were made in only a small number of sizes so if function is the goal, you will certainly find something to do the job.

9. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Having just checked out your photo it looks you need a pump assembly, an inner and outer burner cap, probably a replacement NRV, perhaps a new jet for the burner and a leg. Also a top trivet. Peter

10. Scrambler

Yep- should have followed my own advice and looked back. Thanks @abbahco1.

11. ArizonaCamper

The #5 Pump port is 17mm inside diameter Vs. the 111b W/ but 13.75mm... As for the #5, I can see the NRV inside the Pump well, so it might just need Fettling. I agree W/ Peter as far as parts required to even get this Kerosene stove to fire, maybe not worth the effort. My limited experience is W/ stoves running White Gas! I do appreciate all of the ideas and clarifications posted by members. Steve

12. Scrambler

Sorry to hear the test option didn't work for size.

If running is the issue, rather than historic accuracy, I would look to see if you can get compatible parts from India.

Brass kerosene stove 1 Liter parts Pump Burner | eBay

This is only one of a number of sellers. You could get a whole new stove for pocket change. OK, a large pocket.

You will need to check the dimensions with the seller. There are also historic parts places that will stock parts, but whole pumps would not be a big seller.

13. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

I think it's very easy to get this one going: just private message me an address and I'll send you the parts you need (except the leg, which I don't have). All the rest I have a decent stash of. Oh, and only run this one on kerosene! Peter

14. ArizonaCamper

I did check that link for "The bAY"... Interesting collection of parts, BUT they do not ship to USA!

15. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

I'll pull out the parts and send them over to you - I have what you need. Except, you'll need to fashion a leg - at least you have two of the three as models!
    Peter

16. ArizonaCamper

I have a friend who is an experienced Blacksmith. With all of his tools and a forge, making the leg should be easy. If he doesn't have the proper bending tool, he can make one!