1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AGM 6206 Speedikook

Discussion in 'AGM - American Gas machine' started by Metropolitantrout, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout United States Subscriber

Found this "in the wild" at an antique store on the way home from Lake Tahoe, CA.
    Aside from a little surface rust and a small chip in the paint, it was in remarkable condition considering it came out in the mid 50's. I like the "Always Good Merchandise" AGM slogan but the box is really in bad shape. Instructions were included and posted to the reference library.
    IMG_0345.jpg

As some of you know these are notorious for stress cracks along the side of the fount. I've read that some founts are steel. Can anyone verify that? This one is brass with a steel bottom (magnetic).

IMG_0352.jpg

After changing the cap seal and lubricating the pump leather it fired right up and burned great. I didn't take many pics but it simmered and topped out nicely.

I took apart the top assembly and removed the surface rust. I decided to keep it looking how it probably looked when it sold (not over polished or painted)

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

It's VERY similar to a Coleman 500 in size and design but unfortunately it lacks the reputation of a Coleman due to it's dangerous potential of it's fount cracking. For that reason I don't think this will be much of a user. Jerry

2. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Canada Subscriber

I've posted mine before but I'd sure like to know the same thing. Mine is a steel fount. I did the magnet test myself. I'm pretty sure it was restored by someone before I got it with at least a repaint of the grill and windscreen. Other then that it's hard to say anything else about it except it burns nice. If the fount was repainted they did a decent match of the color. There's some scratches and nicks in the paint so it's been done for a while. I'll post another picture and that way we can at least compare the fount color. IMG_2348.JPG

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Great pics and write up Jerry, thank you.

Yes, I've read those are prone to stress cracks. Too bad, because it seems so right as a design otherwise.

Still, looks like you've got a good example ... or do stress cracks lurk there ready to show themselves after a few firings? Hopefully not!

John

4. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout United States Subscriber

@MrAlexxx
    Thanks for answering my question. Interesting that yours is steel. I wonder if that was unique to the Canadian market?
    Whoever did the restoration, did it well!

@presscall
    Thanks John! I still want to give your photo technique a go but using two sheets of metal was a step in the right direction until I can get to the art store. It seems hard to believe that a stress crack would develop on the fount. It seems very well built and plenty think enough brass. Perhaps in the shaping of it, the brass was weakened?

5. scouterjan

scouterjan Canada Subscriber

I have 2, a standard Maroon color, no cracks, and 1 with a reddish/orange color steel tank. Its like new so I always some were made with steel fonts. I shared my pictures etc with Terry Marsh and after some brainstorming mine has a lantern font off an AGM lantern. I will try and put some pictures up
    Jan