AGM 6206

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Scrapiron, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Scrapiron United States

Hi all, I’m pretty new to this forum. I’m excited to have just picked up an AGM single burner stove 6206. Sorry, I’m unable to post a picture as I write this but I’m concerned about what I’m reading. I checked it over and put in some fuel and it held pressure and lit up. Doesn’t seem to have any cracks in the fount yet. My question to any experienced person, can crack’s still happen? I don’t leave it pressurized when not using it. My guess is I shouldn’t use but I love seeing it function!
    Thanks for any response. Mark

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Scrapiron

Welcome!

If you put fuel in your stove and pressurise it (don’t light it) and make sure the fuel gets to try to escape from all parts of the tank, you’ll soon find out if it has stress cracks.

Do this in a safe area, of course.

Tony

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Scrapiron Most likely you’re in the clear, since most stress cracks are formed in the faulty manufacturing process - poor annealing of metal prior to pressing - and make themselves known pretty quickly in first ownership from new.

That’s been the pattern in the dozen or so examples I’ve encountered across several makes. None were AGM, though I’ve only owned only one stove made by AGM, which is still going strong.

Personally I’d leave it pressurised, as I do with Coleman stoves and lanterns. It saves effort pumping next time and may well be kinder on the metal rather than a pressurise/depressurise/pressurise ... cycle.

Welcome to CCS.

John

4. Scrapiron United States

Thank you Tony for your advice. I’ll do exactly that and post results, hopefully with a photo.

Mark

5. Scrapiron United States

Well that gives me a little confidence using it going forward and good advice on leaving it pressurized. Didn’t think of it that way. I’m going to do Tony’s suggestion just to be sure, I tend to overthink things. I appreciate your input. I’ll clean it up a bit and post a picture as it’s running. I typically enjoy “as found condition.”

Thank you, Mark

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I have that model, runs great, I had to solder leaks around the seam.
    Duane

7. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Over on the Coleman forum I have heard stories of fonts stress cracking......good one time, next time crack. Anything is possible......use it, cook something, I'm wondering what it looks like....

8. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

... doesn’t happen here on CCS though