1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AGM KampKook No.6 - 1920's / 1930's ??

Discussion in 'AGM - American Gas machine' started by Spokane Dave, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Spokane Dave United States

Here ya go Guys and Gals . . . The Elusive Model #6

A real Nice Find !!!

Looks like it was repainted sometime over the last 80+ years . . .

I "think" production was somewhere between 1922 and the early 1930's, but would be nice to know for sure . . . . . . . .

Any info or direction for info anyone can share on the No.6 would be Greatly appreciated !!

I was not able to run it as the pump bushing is old, and do not have any fuel right now :-({|=

1411750878-01.jpg

1411750888-02.jpg

1411750896-03.jpg

1411750904-04.jpg

1411750913-05.jpg

1411750922-06.jpg

1411750932-07.jpg

1411750940-08.jpg

1411750951-09.jpg

1411750963-10.jpg

1411750974-11.jpg

1411750983-12.jpg

1411750994-13.jpg

1411751004-14.jpg

1411751014-15.jpg

1411751033-16.jpg

1411751044-17.jpg

1411751055-18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Looks to be in very good condition. Never seen a complete #6 before. I have several KampKooks: #3, #7, #77, and others.

Not sure on the dates since the earliest ones, like the #3, were late teens and early 1920s. I haven't done enough research on other models to say what possibly the date would be on the #6. I guess I would put it just after the #3 since it has many similarities to the #3, just bigger. So you probably have as close of a date as possible - mid 20s to early 30s - maybe even earlier.

On one #6 the lid comes off for use, according to Terry Marsh's website. There is a #6 there and has straight steel rods for legs, where yours have the formed legs with steel rods built into them.

Nice stove.

sam

3. Spokane Dave United States

Well with the tag saying Patent reissue 1922 - that would mean it is that or newer . . . . The lid is fixed / hinged on this one.

So in doing research on it - I found is it true they burned regular gasoline in these, as all the adds push the siphon accessory for getting gas from your automobile to use in the stove. Seems a lot more volatile then say white gas ??

What kind of fuel do you guys run in these ??

Yea you gotta love finding things like this, and especially in the nice & complete condition it it is in after all these years. I blew off the dust, but it is in as found condition !!

So, considering the rarity of the #6 - whats a guy to figure the value is ?? any idea's from you experts ??

4. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Regular White gas is what they used to run in these things. With the modern additives, the generator would clog in a short time, so Coleman Fuel or similar camp fuel is recommended.

As for the value of the stove, there are rules on the forum that members are not allowed to give valuations. Causes bad things to happen.

The best way to find out the value is put the stove up for sale somewhere and see what you get.

Others say the value is what people are willing to pay on various days. It could be lower than you expect and sometimes higher.

sam

5. Spokane Dave United States

Hey. . . . Sam
    You Stated: "As for the value of the stove, there are rules on the forum that members are not allowed to give valuations. Causes bad things to happen"

LOL LOL - Wasn't looking for an appraisal LOL just an opinion / guestimation - BUT now that you mention it . . . . I do remember that issue some time back with my Coleman 4H that I inherited - While it puzzled me - the discussion of value did ruffle some feathers - No worries , and good lord we don’t want bad things to happen LOL

Now . . .I need to get some white gas and fire this baby up !! I will be sure and add pictures of it running.
    I will have to figure out how to get the old Leather plunger in the pump working / repaired or just give it air by other means to pressurize it . . . . .

I had a forum question for you . . . .
    I thought this forum was set up to email the thread starter when someone replies ??

I didn't see the option when starting the posts, I do not see a subscribe option in the threads, and checked my css panel - email is still the same. Is that something they stopped doing, or am I missing something?

Thanks for your input . . . . .

6. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Hi Dave,

Yeah, I apologize for the miscomm on value. I've been overly cautious of saying the right things on the forum. I guess specifically for a KampKook collector your stove would have very good value. I would love for your stove to be in my collection. It's a great find! Of course, most people aren't suitcase stove collectors on this site. So, generally speaking it's not as sought after like say for a Primus 41, Radius 43, Primus 110, etc.

Can't wait to see your stove fired up. Love these oldies!

As for the forum question, just click on 'Subscribe to Topic' at the bottom of the page and select 'Instant email updates.'

sam

7. gmfiorini United States

Hey @Spokane Dave

I'm quite jealous of your stove! I recently came across my own No. 6 at a junk shop and bought it. I was infected with the Coleman Stove bug and I was drawn to this interesting relic of camping history.
    Mine is in pretty ruff shape and is missing the legs.
    I was wondering if it would be at all possible if you could take a couple measurements of your legs(i.e. Height of legs, height of post, smallest and widest width at the curves)?
    I'm going to cut out my own and braze in the posts as well and i just wanted to try and get it to be somewhat acurrate of a replica.

Thanks for any help!
    -gmfiorini

8. gmfiorini United States

9. Matty Australia

@Spokane Dave

Firstly, that is a nice stove. Congrats.

Secondly, I looked through an undated catalogue and found No 1, No 3, No 7, No 8 & No 10 stoves. No mention of the No 6 or No 4

I worked through the years of advertisements from 1920 and in 1926, I found the first mention of No 4 stove. Up until that point I still hadn't found a mention of the No 6.

It *may* be that the No 6 stove was one of the last put into production.

It *may* be that it was made prior to 1926 and I just didn't see it or find it.

10. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Terry Marsh's site has an example of a No.6 about a third of the way down the page, here.