AGM valve, broken off threads

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by hikerduane, Jun 19, 2021.

1. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Heated up the joint to remove this valve from the tank, protecting the threads from my pipe wrench, the weak section broke off, it being the threads. I see a valve on Oldcolemanparts that has openings in correct orientation but the top has flats similar to a Coleman valve, AGM stove valve #2 2344, page 2 for other brand parts. Repairable? I think I'll go ahead and try getting the new valve, next hard thing to do is removing the pickup tube and air restrictor fitting from the valve. If you have ever worked on a AGM lantern, you know what I am talking about. I would not have fettled the old stove, but the tank had fuel and acted like it wasn't getting enough fuel, thinking the pickup tube had debris choking it. Maybe just old corrosion on the tiny holed screen on the pickup tube.
    Duane
    20210618_173402_opt.jpg
    20210618_173344_opt.jpg

2. Paul B

Paul B Subscriber

Hello
    I've not worked on a lantern, but have had my 6206 Speedicook apart a few times. Luckily the valve came out. I have never been satisfied with the out put on my stove. Compared to a Coleman 500 it seems weak. My determination is the minuscule pick up hole. It is hardly larger than some jets. And way less than 1/2 a Coleman. The small screen is hard to come off if you are trying to save the brass clip that holds mine on. Fortunately the pick up tube parts all came apart neatly. They were surprisingly clean even though my tank was pretty dirty.

3. Paul B

Paul B Subscriber

Forgot I had a picture of the "fuel" that was IMG_0075.jpg in the tank

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

The pu tube has fine mesh at the bottom which can be seen like a sock. It took me a minute after removal to see what it was.
    Duane

5. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

There was a for sale ad on CCF for an AGM tank & burners not long ago....3 wks?

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I'll see how it goes fitting the new part. I lurk a little on the CCF, so never see beyond the Bull topics if at all. Too many detractors there.
    Duane

7. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Wrong valve received, item wasn't as pictured as it has four openings, not three like I thought I saw. Not out much money, but OCP is out of this type now. Can't seal up the unneeded opening as the parts/tube are for the original style valve anyway. Finally a stove that I have that doesn't work.
    Duane

8. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Received my repaired valve back sooner than expected. Will put all back together later. Not a easy fix? Internal threads also.
    Duane
    20210712_161703_opt.jpg
    20210712_161222_opt.jpg