Air restrictor converting silent kero burner to benzine

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by gideon, Aug 12, 2019.

1. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Hello again experienced engineer Gideon sir,
    Well done. Our site relies on OPs (Original Posts, Original posters): a generosity of members like yourself taking their own time, taking the initative with substantial effort to contribute, to share their thoughts, for whatever the reason.
    Your reason is in your title
    "Air restrictor converting silent kero burner..." <-- that is the point and should be recognized. …" [and No needs to change the jets.] a DIY project with mechanical drawing.

You later clarified: "...my interest was to made DIY the spares to convert the kero stoves to benzine and make it possible to run on benzine too."

This is interesting post but fellow stovies have, for now, lost site of your contribution here, w/o any appreciation. I thank you again btw.

Converting #5 size silent kero burners has been offered by the big name makers since early 1900s -to- 1990s (-to- today?). Conversions are achieved *in a variety of ways, Gideon's solution uses the same jet (granted many convert only to meths ).

Fellow stovies, MULTI-FUEL / Triple fuel burners are in our wheel house, <-- good stuff, there is excellent DIY detail provided above.
    ---------------------------

gideon, so I agree with much of the criticism, myself & kerophile recall / recognized, and have linked to your "Sins confessed..." , <-- we see you get it... got it already and beside the point. Above in this post you further explained yourself which was "ok"... then apparently not?

Myself, I beg of you, please, do not...
    … allow the criticism (only) responses to discourage you from future similar posts. You have again offered excellent content, you're a smart generous guy with high level abilities. We fellow stovies do appreciate your efforts (if it's not apparent here). Be safe.
    ---------------------------

Why I post and more on-topic (shall we?):
    > Your holes in tube conversion is similar to Optimus & early Svea. I want to add another example FYI, Radius uses slots, link. Conversion kits or just the parts needed were available but quite often conversions were done by changing the entire burner (that had it's challenges too), link ...<--all 3 options are expensive IF you can even source the parts. SO DIY conversion solutions are appreciated (one would think).
    > there are different grades of meths and white gas.
    I post also to mention you might consider (in your testing), the burners that allow adjusting the air restrictor function have an advantage, yes?
    thx omc
    PS whenever FUEL is a topic it helps to include country of origin, can i ask a favor? Can you, please, update ID with country of origin (I forgot where you're from, sorry) and
    All I can do is admire generosity and craftsmanship like this, link. You da man!
    courtesy tag @kerophile I refer to your input

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  2. gideon SotM Winner

@OMC thank you again. there was a spares in my 111st hiker like that i did. it is a restrictors for benzine and meth to make it's burner multifuel. this is what i am talking about. to do my R-10 and Opti-535 like 111st - multifuel (kero/benzine). i don't remember somebody was resent that 111st multifuel hiker can run benzine/white gas - i just do the same.
    @snwcmpr i did (DIY) special laboratory equipment for the process of benzine destilling with all safety policy because i know it and i can it. and yes, i use it in my home. if it needs i can show the pics of the equipment and a process when i will do benzine cleaning next time. just promise me you'll never do the same if you think it is not safe but i will.

3. gideon SotM Winner

by the way

4. gideon SotM Winner

5. Marc

Marc Subscriber

I think the main point of the warnings against distilling gasoline and using gasoline in kerosene appliances is to warn casual guests to the site. Most members here will have some awareness of the dangers of burning gasoline in a kerosene appliance, and likely the dangers of distilling gasoline to make their own white gas. If they choose to do so anyway, that's on them. Average Joe Sixpack who googles "make your own white gas" may not know those risks, and needs the warnings. I hope they're not doing so in an apartment with neighbors..........

Purely from a practical perspective and completely ignoring the considerable risk, it doesn't pencil out for me. White gas here is $8/gal. Non ethanol gas is $4+/gal, and obviously won't yield a gallon of white gas after distilling, but I'll ignore that for now. $4/gal savings, minus power, minus time(!!!!), minus the cost of the distilling equipment, multiplied by the amount of white gas I use in a year(5 gallons maybe?), payback period would be NEVER. Even if the gasoline feedstock to distill was free and white gas was $20/gal, it would cost me more to distill my own than just buying white gas.

That's completely ignoring the risk.

No thank you. The warnings against this practice are well deserved.

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

You need not worry that I would do as you say.
    I will not distill my own as I have no interest in making something dangerous when I can buy it easily. Not worth my time.

"Just because you can, does not mean you should."

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, @gideon ,

I’m afraid that I must join @Marc , and @snwcmpr , in admonishing you not to share such things like this on CCS. As Ken has so rightly said, most of us know the dangers of what you are undertaking, and would NEVER try to replicate your work. BUT, we do have a very large portion of folks who stop in here, with NO idea of safety concerns when working with flammable fuels!! In this age of “I saw it on YT, and now I’m going to try it”, it is far better to be safe, than sorry!!!! I would hope you might agree with that, too, you being well aware of the dangers involved in what you are doing. I hope this is food for thought, and that you might reconsider sharing your plans for such things, here. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

imo 70-90 give good fuel for katalithic heaters for indoor use.

:thumbup:
    ------------------
    it is real problem solving

9. Marc

Marc Subscriber

To clarify, I'm not saying such things shouldn't be posted. Just that the warnings against such things are completely valid and should also be posted.

10. gideon SotM Winner

ok. my mark must be "never try to repeat it!".
    plane.jpg