Aladdin Heater - Stove Combination.

Discussion in 'Aladdin' started by Matty, Jun 25, 2017.

1. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Lead washers were added to the NRV at the factory on Primus, Optimus, Svea and Radius stoves.

Here are illustrations from two Primus catalogues.

NRV_1.jpg

NRV_2.jpg

2. Matty

Trevor,

Thanks for that.

Have you any information in regards to if there is or isn't a washer supposed to go between the burner and the riser?

3. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

I assumed that there was a lead washer that would seal that joint. The hexagonal nut is not fixed, right? This is so the burner can be tightened and the control knob oriented towards the front?

Peter

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, The Svea No.36, of whci your heater appears to be a clone, certainly has a riser to burner washer (Part No.841):

[​IMG]

5. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Thanks, George: However my question is : what is the nature of the washer on those stoves where the spirit cup does not form part of the seal: therefore it must be a washer placed under the bottom threaded tube of the burner itself (the spirit cups are not a tight fit, but can be moved freely). I have a Radius 10 that is like that, the Primus 535 was the same. I assume that the hexagonal nuts on the connecting tube were also able to be tightened in order to create the seal. Am I being clear enough here? Thanks, Peter

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

@abbahco1

Hi Peter, you might like to look at this post and the rest of the thread.

7. Matty

@kerophile @shagratork Thanks to the references.

@abbahco1 The reason why I had to tighten the burner to the riser to the point it didn't spin freely is most likely because I used a fibre washer. I suspect if I had a lead washer, that lead washer, would seal the gap between the burner and riser before too much tightening was needed.

I dunno, really, but I guess I'll try and find a lead washer that fits and give it a go.

8. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

Matty,

Yes, those joints appear to have been designed to work without fibre washers, so I wonder what washers were present when they were made, as the lower nut is also moveable. I'm guessing that the joint is sealed with some kind of lead washer inserted into the nut to work against the bottom of the burner thread, thus forming a seal without moving the burner (the nut would be tightened to the burner, while the burner remains oriented with the tap to the front. Then the spirit cup would have no role in forming the seal. Is that what you see?

Peter

9. Matty

Peter,

I actually think the spirit cup hinders forming a seal. I have never understood why they designed the spirit cup to be tightened down along with the burner. They could have enlarged the spirits cup hole diameter and just allowed it to spin freely around the burner riser.

The spirit cup is one of the reasons I could never figure it out in my head if there should be a washer there or not. A washer makes sense to use there on a pressure unit but the design does not seem to fit the thinking a washer should go there.

10. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

So, on your Aladdin, is the spirit cup "loose"?

P

11. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@Matty @abbahco1

On the Aladdin 2 burner stoves I have the spirit cup floats and burner seal is aluminium .

12. Matty

@ROBBO55 Thanks for that.

@abbahco1 No, it's not loose. As mentioned before I had to tighten the burner to the riser much more than I believe it should be.

What I may do is pressurise the fount and slowly loosen the joint between riser and burner and see when it starts to leak. I may be able to get it loose enough where the joint doesn't leak but will spin if not exactly freely, spin with a bit of help.

13. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

OK, but am i right in deducing that the spirit cup is NOT forming part of the seal (as it must on conventional Primus stoves where the burner attaches to a threaded tube). The seal is between the bottom rim of the burner thread and the bottom of the receiving hexagonal nut. That's what I was wondering..sorry - words are a clumsy medium sometimes.

Peter

14. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

PS: On the Aladdin 2-burner stove I had the spirit cups were loosely suspended. When the joint leaked it was both in the joint between burner thread and receiving hexagonal nut and also below the hexagonal nut (which was also free moving above the connector tube to the tank.